Alternator charging leisure battery

onepjg replied on 05/03/2024 18:51

Posted on 05/03/2024 18:51

How often do people run their engines when based on site ?

I would generally use a hook up ( which I understand doesn’t charge the vehicle battery ) to keep the leisure battery charged, and I also have a 160w solar panel ( which I believe was wired up to charge both batteries ). I believe running the engine does provide some charge for the leisure battery. If static on site for a few days / a week, would people recommend letting the vehicle tick over for a while, and if so how long & often ?

Thanks

LLM replied on 05/03/2024 19:05

Posted on 05/03/2024 19:05

Just fit a VanBitz Battery Master.  Simples!

Definitely do not run your engine.  It would do very little to help, other than cause damage to your engine and annoyance to others.

Tinwheeler replied on 05/03/2024 19:16

Posted on 05/03/2024 19:16

Only run your engine when you need to move the vehicle, Onepjg.

When you were a caravanner, you would probably have moaned about your neighbour running his MH engine. It is not necessary and will put next door to no charge in your battery.

DavidKlyne replied on 05/03/2024 21:05

Posted on 05/03/2024 21:05

I think there are two questions wrapped up in one there and probably running the engine is not the answer to either. You need to work out how your system works viz a viz what charges what. Some motorhomes don't charge the cab battery whilst on mains but other do. I was under the impression that my 2019 Bailey did not charge the cab battery whilst on mains but the service engineer at White Arches said that around 2019 they did change the system. You have quite large solar panel so that should keep the leisure battery in good condition depending on load. If the solar panel is connected to the cab battery it usually is only set at 10% with the bulk going to the leisure battery, although the ratio can be changed. As LLM suggested a Battery Master is a fit and forget little device that pushes any excess charge from the leisure battery, however its being charged, through to the cab battery to keep it in good condition. 

David

onepjg replied on 05/03/2024 21:26

Posted on 05/03/2024 21:05 by DavidKlyne

I think there are two questions wrapped up in one there and probably running the engine is not the answer to either. You need to work out how your system works viz a viz what charges what. Some motorhomes don't charge the cab battery whilst on mains but other do. I was under the impression that my 2019 Bailey did not charge the cab battery whilst on mains but the service engineer at White Arches said that around 2019 they did change the system. You have quite large solar panel so that should keep the leisure battery in good condition depending on load. If the solar panel is connected to the cab battery it usually is only set at 10% with the bulk going to the leisure battery, although the ratio can be changed. As LLM suggested a Battery Master is a fit and forget little device that pushes any excess charge from the leisure battery, however its being charged, through to the cab battery to keep it in good condition. 

David

Posted on 05/03/2024 21:26

Thanks DK for such a comprehensive answer. I read on MotorhomeFun someone saying that they ran their MH engine each day for 15 mins to top up vehicle battery. I couldn’t see how that would be effective, so wanted to ask others.

My understanding is that my vehicle battery does not charge when on hook up ( I am going to double check this tomorrow ). The solar panel definitely charges both batteries, but I will see at what percentages.

At least I now know the questions I need answered, and my potential solutions.

Thanks again

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook