Considering purchasing a Swift Voyager 584 any tho

Pete and Kaz replied on 12/04/2024 13:18

Posted on 12/04/2024 13:18

Recently given up Caravanning to try a Motorhome and after a considerable time browsing outfits,   layouts and sizes we have almost certainly settled on the Swift Voyager 584 series. So any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.

Areas of particular interest centre on build quality and payloads. We are not averse to the plating scheme since we are both under 70 yrs old and in reasonable nick!

Another area of concern is van length.  When we started our search it was for a 7m van, which for various reasons has crept up to around 7.8m.

grateful for responses, thank you

Pete & Kaz

Tinwheeler replied on 12/04/2024 14:35

Posted on 12/04/2024 14:35

Yep, 7.8m would be of huge concern to me. Reduce it by 1.5m to achieve something of a manageable size.

Take a look through similar threads to see numerous recommendations of not trying to replicate your caravan in a MH. It’s the most common mistake people make.

Good luck.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/04/2024 15:51

Posted on 12/04/2024 15:51

It looks a nice van, especially the option of the an automatic gearbox. In 3500kgs form the payload is limited so if you are able to up-plate and have the right licence I think I would. With that length of van it won't be as flexible as say something between 6 and 7 metres but it really does depend how you intend using it. If your intentions are always to be using campsites and leaving it on site it won't be a problem at all. Even shopping in larger supermarkets won't be an issue. Where it does become an issue and possibly stressful if you want to park in the centre of towns where parking is more restrictive and roads narrower, or perhaps attempting the NC500. I am going to say something now which probably goes against the accepted wisdom of many. Our first motorhome was 7.5 metres long, nearer 8 with the bike rack loaded. We downsized to one only 6.6 metres long but we didn't really change our habits on using campsites with reasonable access on foot or by public transport. If the truth be told I do now sort regret going down in size as a van with a proper lounge and a separate sleeping area at the back of the van we would probably find more to our requirements. Take no notice of me as I am probably in the minority!

David

Pete and Kaz replied on 12/04/2024 19:37

Posted on 12/04/2024 19:37

Thank you Tin Wheeler and David. Your comments are very welcome and I guess there is some element of trying to achieve Caravan comfort (separate shower / loo combination for example). A difficult job finding the right compromise.

Peter

DavidKlyne replied on 12/04/2024 20:28

Posted on 12/04/2024 19:37 by Pete and Kaz

Thank you Tin Wheeler and David. Your comments are very welcome and I guess there is some element of trying to achieve Caravan comfort (separate shower / loo combination for example). A difficult job finding the right compromise.

Peter

Posted on 12/04/2024 20:28

Peter

You are going to spend one heck of a lot of money on a motorhome so it pays to think long and hard about as mistakes can be expensive. As I said before it will depend on how you plan to use the van which is probably the best indicator of the size you need to aim for. A lot of people hire a motorhome before buying just to see if it is the thing for them.

David

peedee replied on 13/04/2024 07:50

Posted on 13/04/2024 07:50

My own view on size of van mirrors David's. To gain any real advantage i.e. to do the same as you would with your car once you have parked you caravan, you need to go too small for my liking. Give me the comfort of a larger van (up to 8 meters) any day and the option to tow or hire a car if required.

peedee

eurortraveller replied on 13/04/2024 11:34

Posted on 13/04/2024 11:34

We took a caravan to Suffolk and pitched camp on a site near Saxmundham. From there we drove out by car to Aldborough, southwold, Minsmere, Snape Maltings, the Long Shop at Leiston, a National Trust place, and so on. Some motorhomes are nimble enough to go off site every day  and do that sort of thing, but  some aren’t. There were no buses to be seen. So as PD says a very large motorhome means towing a car, or hiring one. Or not going there.

MikeyA replied on 13/04/2024 11:42

Posted on 13/04/2024 11:42

Our first motorhome was 7.5 metres long, nearer 8 with the bike rack loaded. We downsized to one only 6.6 metres long but we didn't really change our habits on using campsites with reasonable access on foot or by public transport.

David,  Is it possible that your current method of sightseeing was a result of your first  large motorhome and maybe, if it had only been 6.6m then you would have used it more on daily exploring?

DavidKlyne replied on 13/04/2024 14:44

Posted on 13/04/2024 11:42 by MikeyA

Our first motorhome was 7.5 metres long, nearer 8 with the bike rack loaded. We downsized to one only 6.6 metres long but we didn't really change our habits on using campsites with reasonable access on foot or by public transport.

David,  Is it possible that your current method of sightseeing was a result of your first  large motorhome and maybe, if it had only been 6.6m then you would have used it more on daily exploring?

Posted on 13/04/2024 14:44

I am not sure it was? Even when we had the last caravan we would often select sites near to towns and villages and bus services so moving to a motorhome didn't particularly change much. Now going back in time when we were at work we enjoyed getting away somewhere peaceful and away from habitation but since we retired, 17 years ago, we no longer need or seek that sort of solitude. It was part of the thinking that going smaller would encourage us to use the van more to get around but in practise that hasn't really worked for us. Hence the slight regret of going smaller and sacrificing space and to a small degree comfort. I have watched a lot of videos on YouTube of other motorhomers who seek out pub stops and remote places to stay off piste but it has never really appealed. We have visited a couple of large country houses with the van but as to setting out to park on a Prom somewhere its not something we do. For one thing we never get up and ready soon enough to bag the best places.wink I should add that I do enjoy driving the motorhome compared to towing a caravan which I did for 30 years, much more straightforward in my view and far less stressful from leaving home to setting up on site.

David

MoHoSinger replied on 14/04/2024 06:58

Posted on 14/04/2024 06:58

Horses for courses - I have gone for a 6 metre. Main factors affecting my decision:

1. It will fit on my double width drive alongside the car. So no storage charges, more secure, easy to tinker and titivate of an evening and there for a quick getaway when the fancy takes me. 

2. I am on my own so I need less space

3. The right van for me at the right price. I was far more concerned with a full service history and van being in first class order and from a dealer I trusted. So exact layout was secondary (although I think I have fallen on my feet!)

I have zero intention of taking a van off site during the day. My use will be touring and likely moving on after just an overnight stop. My "wheels" for exploring my environs during a stay will be two - a folding Ebike (MiRider GB3). It seems to me that an Ebike (especially a folding one) and a MoHo are made for each other. Eminently portable, my GB3 will fit in the passenger footwell when on the road. I will then unfold it and store it in the garage once on site when not in use.  That ensures I get some exercise and it it gives me transport to the local pub, bistro or supermarket as well as riding on towpaths or wherever.

If the sole consideration for going small (circa 6 metres) is flexibility once on a site to pop out during the day a couple of folding Ebikes might well provide the answer - much cheaper then the extra £20k on the purchase price of a larger MoHo!

Chris

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook