Diesel in water tank

ScreenName7A1240CE0C replied on 03/10/2023 11:21

Posted on 03/10/2023 11:21

Hi everyone,

a couple have rented our McLouis 379 motorhome and have inadvertently put about 12l of diesel into an otherwise fairly full fresh water tank.

They are close to Chichester and are having problems finding anyone who will help them drain the tank and dispose of the contaminated water- they've even tried the council.

Any ideas?

DavidKlyne replied on 03/10/2023 16:17

Posted on 03/10/2023 16:17

The Council do take hazardous waste but diesel contaminated with water is not listed. What about a local motorhome dealership? This is another service in the area which may be able to help. Whilst emptying the contaminated water is the first step its unlikely you will be able to reuse the tank as I imagine it will be difficult to completely remove every last drop without using some sort of solvent which might have a negative impact on the water system so I would be prepared for the prospect of needing a new water tank? 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 03/10/2023 17:35

Posted on 03/10/2023 16:44 by SteveL

My thoughts also David. Plus I would think the inlet pipe which in ours (top section at least) is ribbed plastic, would also be difficult to decontaminate.

Posted on 03/10/2023 17:35

That also goes for the pump and whole system if a tap was turned on. It may need total replacement. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook