Elddis damp problem

JohnE replied on 06/07/2021 12:06

Posted on 06/07/2021 12:06

I have always had sympathy with owners who have significant damp problems either in motorhomes or caravans.

Unfortunately I now join this unhappy growing band of people.

Majestic 275, not quite 2 years old in for its 2nd habitation check. I knew I had a water leak from the washroom MPK rooflight, so they were prepared for that, not! Long story short, got it back with damp readings of up to 55 around nearside front window, locker below it, wall near nearside wheel arch and in areas on floor in offside front corner, nearside front corner, all nearside floor to rear corner and washroom floor. Plus up to 40 in washroom ceiling around rooflight. 

Marquis want Elddis to take it back to factory for repair, Elddis, so far say no, Marquis problem. Warranty claim not yet approved.

My point is that a vehicle that had zero damp at 1st service now has all the above at 2nd service. It has still only covered 3370 miles. This suggests to me that the construction methods used are not up to the pounding the vehicle gets on British roads, or, their workmanship is very shoddy. Adhesive processes are great IF the cleanliness, adhesive quantity, in the right place criteria are followed. This requires skilled operators in non automated operations.

I know, light weight and robustness don't sit together well, so longevity relies on process control. Is there any? I will post a similar statement on Elddis owners Facebook page in the hope that somebody from Elddis has the courage to comment.

Sorry its a bit long but needed to get it off my chest.

Angry, John E

LLM replied on 08/10/2023 17:37

Posted on 08/10/2023 17:37

Damp in UK designed and built vans seems to be endemic, whereas continentals are for the most part free of that problem.  Perhaps the answer is don't buy British.

young thomas replied on 08/10/2023 17:43

Posted on 08/10/2023 16:56 by onepjg

I’d agree YT, but the question is where to find a watertight reputation ?

Posted on 08/10/2023 17:43

You've only got to look at the caravans the travelling community live in...Fendt, Hobby etc....

then look at the motorhomes the snowbirds take to Spain every winter....Hymer, Carthago, N+B etc

theres a common denominator here....

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook