Fiat 9 speed automatic

777 replied on 13/05/2022 15:18

Posted on 13/05/2022 15:18

We have a 2022 Fiat Ducato based motorhome with the superb 9 speed automatic gearbox.  I have found one anomaly, and wonder if anyone else has found the same.  Stopped at for example traffic lights, gearbox in Drive with the annoying start/stop function disengaged, and foot on footbrake, the gearbox drops into a sort of neutral.  When lights change, foot off the brake, it takes a couple of seconds to re-engage the drive, and it does so with a mild “clonk”.  If you accelerate before it re-engages, there’s quite a big “thump” as in engages again.  I guess there’s not too many of these new boxes out there, but has anyone come across this, and is it considered normal for this gearbox?  Thanks

PQ6 replied on 24/12/2023 14:54

Posted on 24/12/2023 14:54

Similar problem here. 2021 Fiat campervan with 9 speed automatic 140 multijet. Nice gearbox but on a dual carriageway I pressed the mode button to change from power to normal as I was trying to see what difference the gearbox modes make. After pressing from sport to normal I pressed the throttle fully down to kick down. The gearbox dropped into neutral and I lost drive power. Although I was still in Drive the power was not being delivered to the drive wheels and the revs were unresponsive. Pusing up and down on the throttle pedal did little to affect the revs.

I pulled over. Turned everything off and restarted. Problem was gone and everything back to normal.

My concern is I have 2 months left on warranty and I'm not sure what to do about it? I havn't been able to replicate problem so if I take it to a dealer theres nothing to show them.... 

I get somethines there are glitches. I had a Discovery one that went into limp mode. Trun on and off and it ran again for years and never repeated the problem. I am curious though to see if anyone else has had this issue with the ducato 9 speed automatic box?

hitchglitch replied on 05/01/2024 16:50

Posted on 05/01/2024 16:50

We have ordered a Wildax with the auto box which I’m told is a Mercedes unit. Our local dealer has only ordered auto versions as he says the 9 speed box is so good. Hopefully we won’t have the problems mentioned above.

Metheven replied on 05/01/2024 22:44

Posted on 05/01/2024 22:44

As I mentioned on page 1 the same 9 speed box is in my car, and behaves impeccably. Almost certain it is down to the software design by differing motor vehicle manufacturers, maybe vehicle weight plays a big part in how the software is written and behaves.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook