Fiat Ducato 2019 accelerator fault

sorento replied on 07/07/2019 09:21

Posted on 07/07/2019 09:21

I have moved to the Dark Side with knaus motor home which we love after 40 years caravaning. Unfortunately a fault accured traveling up the m1 at 60 mph in the third lane of four very busy motorway i lost acceleration and had to move into lane one slowly then move very slowly to SOS point with hazards on at this point I tried manual and the accelerator worked OK ,I then had to pull out into four lanes of traffic with no hard shoulder to get up to speed I have now found fiat have a RECALL .

On this Motorhome ref R/2019/103 this was a extremely dangerous situation to be in I have contacted fiat and are now awaiting parts. I have not had a recall letter yet even though this was ilighted on the 10 of may.

I am very thankful to all the drivers who manovered around my vehicle  and it ilighted to me the dangers of smart motorways!   My Motorhome is a FIAT DUCATO 2.3 150 registered April 2019.

I hope this is helpful we still love the great Motorhome.

Peter

EmilysDad replied on 08/10/2021 11:50

Posted on 08/10/2021 11:24 by Sennon

Hi, looking for some help. I have a 2021 Fiat which is going into limp mode and  have been told it’s because the accelerator pedal and brake have been used  together but reading your post you had a similar problem, is there a recall on this issue or what was your outcome please. Regards Dave

Posted on 08/10/2021 11:50

Surely it's still under warranty 🤔 And I'd say that who ever told you that didn't have a clue. 

Tinwheeler replied on 08/10/2021 12:47

Posted on 08/10/2021 11:50 by EmilysDad

Surely it's still under warranty 🤔 And I'd say that who ever told you that didn't have a clue. 

Posted on 08/10/2021 12:47

Agreed, on both counts😱

Fiat Camper Assist is the breakdown service provided foc by Fiat. They send an RAC man and it’s the obvious place to start👍🏻

EnglishmaninWales replied on 19/10/2021 19:15

Posted on 19/10/2021 19:15

I'm afraid  I own a Fiat Ducato 2.3 Motorhome. I have owed it since 2018.  Its done 13000 miles.  Very recently I suffered what you described driving through central Wales up hill on bendy road no  overtaking location when power was lost on accelerator?  Panic set in ! A car was right behind me so it was quick on with the hazards and had to stop vehicle crawling stopped for about thirty seconds. The vehicle engine never stopped  just would not move the vehicle lack of power?  Then it restarted  in 1st gear and went slowly back to normal.  Now its fine?  I then drove home about 80 miles. These  computer reliant engines are unsafe when it the computer gets confused?  Its a nuisance and very dangerous! 

SeasideBill replied on 20/10/2021 09:23

Posted on 19/10/2021 19:15 by EnglishmaninWales

I'm afraid  I own a Fiat Ducato 2.3 Motorhome. I have owed it since 2018.  Its done 13000 miles.  Very recently I suffered what you described driving through central Wales up hill on bendy road no  overtaking location when power was lost on accelerator?  Panic set in ! A car was right behind me so it was quick on with the hazards and had to stop vehicle crawling stopped for about thirty seconds. The vehicle engine never stopped  just would not move the vehicle lack of power?  Then it restarted  in 1st gear and went slowly back to normal.  Now its fine?  I then drove home about 80 miles. These  computer reliant engines are unsafe when it the computer gets confused?  Its a nuisance and very dangerous! 

Posted on 20/10/2021 09:23

What you’re describing sounds like limp mode and if it happens on a steep incline it can seem that you’ve hardly got any power as the turbo cuts out. It would normally be accompanied by an engine warning light, was that your experience, and if so which light and did a diagnostic check reveal anything? I experienced something very similar (May 2021) on my 2018 Ducato which a diagnosis check confirmed to be a fuel injector fault. After turning the engine off, it cleared itself, there was no obvious reason for the fault and it hasn’t happened since. 🤞

Limp mode is designed to get you out of immediate trouble while protecting the engine from damage but, as you say, it can be a bit scary when it kicks in. It seems to me that the later Ducato engines are prone to intermittent faults. 

I asked my trusted mechanic if it was ok to drive the vehicle any distance in limp mode, to which he replied ‘no’, get it recovered.

sorento replied on 05/11/2021 13:46

Posted on 08/10/2021 11:24 by Sennon

Hi, looking for some help. I have a 2021 Fiat which is going into limp mode and  have been told it’s because the accelerator pedal and brake have been used  together but reading your post you had a similar problem, is there a recall on this issue or what was your outcome please. Regards Dave

Posted on 05/11/2021 13:46

Fiat said I should make sure I do not touch brake and accelerator together and I make sure I do not been OK since that episode.                    Hope this helps Sennon.                                                                                           Pete

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook