Gasless motorhomes

Pilgrimphil replied on 10/11/2020 15:10

Posted on 10/11/2020 15:10

It seems that compressor fridges are becoming more popular these days. 

Consideration is being given to a bespoke PVC that would incorporate a largish compressor fridge/freezer and a Combi diesel heater. This would do away with the requirement for large gas cylinders or tanks. However, a small canister/cylinder type gas hob would also be included along with an induction hob. Our main way of heating up food would be by microwave [when on hook up obviously]. 

We tend to normally use hook up but, for the odd days of wild camping [two nights at most], we are concerned that two leisure batteries might not be enough to power the fridge & heater [+ lighting & TV] without a solar power option included. 

Having only had absorption fridge/freezers on our motorhomes, we are seeking peoples experience of the above scenario. 

Thanks in advance,

Pilgrim Phil

Suzy65 replied on 31/10/2021 16:52

Posted on 10/11/2020 16:23 by peedee

Two way compressor fridges 12v/230v are quite often installed in campervans. I believe regardless of size they draw about 0.5 amps at 12 volts so I don't see a problem running it off a couple of leisure batteries. A 100APH battery should run a compressor fridge on its own for well over a 100 hours.

I'll add I have no experience of such a set up as you describe but given a TV might draw 2amps, lighting similar, add the power required by your heater and apply the maths.

peedee

Posted on 31/10/2021 16:52

My 2-way compressor fridge states in the specs a draw of 5 Amps!  Although I assume this is only when the compressor kicks in (obviously dependant upon ambient temperature and number of times door opens). Nevertheless, my 100 Watt SP and 2 x 120amp FLA batteries struggle to last more than 24hrs!

cyberyacht replied on 01/11/2021 10:43

Posted on 01/11/2021 10:43

I think a good rule of thumb is that solar capacity should equal battery capacity. i.e. 100w for each 100A although that probably only applies in the summer months. Shoulder season, the ratio should be 2 to 1 and winter - don't even think about it.

SeasideBill replied on 01/11/2021 11:21

Posted on 01/11/2021 10:43 by cyberyacht

I think a good rule of thumb is that solar capacity should equal battery capacity. i.e. 100w for each 100A although that probably only applies in the summer months. Shoulder season, the ratio should be 2 to 1 and winter - don't even think about it.

Posted on 01/11/2021 11:21

Many off-grid folks will move frequently so adding a 2nd leisure battery can be very beneficial charging batteries at about 9Ah via the alternator - combined with additional solar gain it significantly increases your options.

young thomas replied on 01/11/2021 17:23

Posted on 01/11/2021 17:23

I would imaging these days that 'off grid folk' might be charging their lithium batteries with a 30 amp (or more) battery to battery charger for a super quick refill...

similarly, regarding the fridge fuel, it's certainly possible now to have excess solar power where batteries are topped up by mid morning....then what happens to all that juice?

with some regulators, a signal (similar to the D+ signal from an alternator) can be sent to the 3-way fridge to switch over automatically to 12v...

should batteries reduce to a specified level, the switching signal is removed and the fridge switches back to gas...best of both?

SeasideBill replied on 01/11/2021 18:04

Posted on 01/11/2021 18:04

Lithium systems are eye wateringly expensive….I’m not sure how common they are at the moment, but that will obviously change over time as applications expand. For my current circumstances it wouldn’t make economic sense unless money was no object. There can also be some potential issues with charging voltages from alternators and mains chargers that need to be addressed before getting your credit card out.

young thomas replied on 01/11/2021 20:11

Posted on 01/11/2021 20:11

Yes, I can't get the enthusiasm for those prices (yet) and am sticking to my pretty darn faithful AGMs....although I have added two extra 100w panels to my roof and now have 300w (and flashy new regulator) ...relatively small cost compared to a 'serious' battery upgrade..

the thing is, once you get those lithiums you simply 'must have' a B2B charger and a new, larger inverter and a switchover module which will power all the 230v sockets..

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook