Heki rooflights blowing open

AngusPiloteCamper replied on 07/11/2019 13:19

Posted on 07/11/2019 13:19

I am sure many folk have noted that certain types of Dometic Heki rooflights have an inherent design fault, which can have show-stopping results !

As I recently experienced in Shetlands - where the wind blows non-stop - when the rooflight is opened for ventilation, a gust of wind can lift the catch out of it's slot and potentially at worst,blow the window right off breaking at the hinge putting an end to the trip till replaced, or damage the hinge beyond fixing. After one scary moment, luckily no real damage done, I just had to keep roof light closed although would have been good to have it open for cooking etc.

The manufacturers design has missed out a secure catch to prevent the wind lifting the rooflight up out of it's slot which could result in a very expensive replacement in addition to the inconvenience of ' no rooflight ' especially in showery weather !! Not a nice thought.

However, help is at hand as I discovered. See  https://moho-bits.wixsite.com/manchester 

Ian makes and supplies retro-fit catches at a reasonable price, preventing a potential disaster. There are other interesting devices to on the website. I can highly recommend these catches and also the helpful advice Ian provides. Worth a look.

Moderator Edit:

As you've opened two threads on the same topic and your discussion appears to be about a motorhome roof light, I've locked the other thread.

stephen p replied on 08/11/2019 17:10

Posted on 07/11/2019 22:08 by Tinwheeler

More like wind in the windows I think.

Good luck with the purchase but why not make your own?

Posted on 08/11/2019 17:10

I have been making this sort of thing all my working life so I could make my own but I would feel like I was copying someones design.

And to be honest, now I have retired, for £10 it is time to let someone else do the work.

Having said that I have not heard back from them as to how to purchase one yet.

Tinwheeler replied on 08/11/2019 17:36

Posted on 08/11/2019 17:36

I’d really not worry about copying something that’s more common sense than design.

Not heard from them? Tbh, the website didn't inspire me with confidence in their business acumen or professionalism😕. Still, there’s time…

cyberyacht replied on 09/11/2019 11:42

Posted on 09/11/2019 11:42

Hardly an innovative creation. I had previously considered fabricating a similar thing to achieve some hatch security when open but, like many things, it is currently awaiting a 'round tuit'.

stephen p replied on 16/11/2019 23:09

Posted on 16/11/2019 23:09

Update!

After some initial communication problems the Hatch Latch was delivered promptly.

The latch was made well enough and cut accurately (laser!). 

When I came to fitting I discovered that the bottom corner near the screw partly obstructed the channel in the hatch frame, I am using this in a caravan so it could be there is a slight difference, cutting off the corner and smoothing it with fine abrasive sorted that problem.

The unit is supplied with a pilot sized hole which is ideal for marking through for the hole in the frame but I found that it gripped the screw and caused it to rotate in the frame when fitted, so I drilled this hole to 4mm clearance so the screw can rotate freely and all is well.

I think it will do the job well, is easy to use and unobtrusive.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook