Leisure battery smelling and hot. Advice please

AnnB replied on 15/07/2019 10:24

Posted on 15/07/2019 10:24

Woke up this morning to a sulphur like smell.  Blamed the dog at first but it’s coming from the battery which also feels hot.

We have opened door to battery compartment and will switch of the hook up but what’s the next step?  Disconnect and then hook up again?  I’ve looked at the RCDs and there is one labelled. Barber but it’s also for the fridge so switching that off is a problems.

We are on a site.

Thanks 

rayjsj replied on 15/07/2019 21:40

Posted on 15/07/2019 21:40

Yes, had that, though luckily not while away touring. Suspect a cell in the Battery has boiled dry and gone short circuit. Halfords usually have a branch in most largish towns, and sell reasonably priced Leisure Batteries.....with good guarantees. Which are easy to use (unlike a lot of cheaper online suppliers). A lot of 'so called'  Maintenance Free leisure batteries are nothing of the kind, and need topping up with distilled water. 

ps Any dog who smells anything like a boiled dry battery has a serious problem and needs to see a vet.

AnnB replied on 16/07/2019 06:19

Posted on 16/07/2019 06:19

Thanks for all the replies and your help.  After the battery cooled we disconnected it but haven’t tried to remove it yet.  We go home tomorrow so will call at Halfords on the way.

Luckily I wasn’t wearing my flowery dress, hard to do when you don’t have one, and our dog smells of dog biscuits, not rotten eggs thank goodness.

EmilysDad replied on 16/07/2019 08:29

Posted on 16/07/2019 06:19 by AnnB

Thanks for all the replies and your help.  After the battery cooled we disconnected it but haven’t tried to remove it yet.  We go home tomorrow so will call at Halfords on the way.

Luckily I wasn’t wearing my flowery dress, hard to do when you don’t have one, and our dog smells of dog biscuits, not rotten eggs thank goodness.

Posted on 16/07/2019 08:29

Halfords' staff generally don't know their bum from their elbow. You need a leisure battery & not a car battery, they're not quite the same. You need at the very least a camping shop or preferably a place that just sell batteries & know what they're talking about.

Navigateur replied on 16/07/2019 09:49

Posted on 16/07/2019 09:49

I bought a new caravan battery for a project earlier this month from a battery company on e-Bay and it was brought to my doorstep the next morning. Good I didn't try Half Ords as the local branch has moved and changed into a major stockist of children's bicycles and air fresheners.

Seems good quality - call back in three years for the usage report.

rayjsj replied on 20/07/2019 16:04

Posted on 16/07/2019 08:29 by EmilysDad

Halfords' staff generally don't know their bum from their elbow. You need a leisure battery & not a car battery, they're not quite the same. You need at the very least a camping shop or preferably a place that just sell batteries & know what they're talking about.

Posted on 20/07/2019 16:04

Its not Halfords staff knowledge, but their guarantees and ease of returning a faulty battery that I am recommending, and they DO sell good 110ah Leisure Batteries at most if not all branches.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook