No1's in the Night

Dyddy replied on 06/09/2023 08:07

Posted on 06/09/2023 08:07

Hi everyone, apologies if this post is TMI for some! When deciding on a campervan as opposed to larger, the one thing we always knew would be a bugbear was taking a pee during the night. Its cramped inside with bed down, even more so with the portapotti out & lets be honest fellas our aim ain't gonna be great in the pitch black!

Toilet tent isn't too much of a faff to put up, but opening / closing a van door can be noisy for others during the dead of night. A long stroll to the toilet block in pitch black isn't for the fainthearted either.

Anyways - came across these 'emergency urinals', they solve the problem & are water tight. Also available in female versions if required.

Hope this helps someone else.

young thomas replied on 06/09/2023 08:47

Posted on 06/09/2023 08:47

Perhaps I shouldn't ask how you manage no 2's😉

MH ownership is often a compromise, and the biggest one is usually matching manoeuvrability/parking against inside comfort/space/facilities....

the loss of a proper bed, a proper toilet, a proper shower etc would compromise our long tours (three months) far too much....we 'live' in our van when away, in places with and without 'facilities'...

I admire your inventiveness....enjoy the van, a Swift Monza? Looks great.

Dyddy replied on 06/09/2023 09:19

Posted on 06/09/2023 09:19

Thankfully they aren't an issue at night embarassed 

Yes everyone to their own. The price difference between large and small vans isn't much and I'd be the first to agree that say a 6m + is much easier loo wise & no faff roof. Though I have to say the bed must be class leading for size & comfort, more so than we imagined. We're away 2/3 days for the most part and when away for longer rarely stop for more than 2 nights in one place. Like to stop at places of interest etc en route.

As for the van itself, prior to purchase think we looked pretty much everything. It has underfloor tanks & solar so ok for short off grid. I'm not a fan of the rust issues Fords have in later life but I guess we won't be keeping it that long to worry. The extra, say 4", width over a VW makes a heck of a difference for anyone looking at vans to buy.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook