Protection when using finance

onepjg replied on 14/08/2023 00:10

Posted on 14/08/2023 00:10

Hi All

When buying a second hand Motorhome (4 years old) from a dealer, is there any extra protection if you purchase it partly through finance, as opposed to paying for it outright by bank transfer / debit card ?

If there is extra protection, is there a minimum amount you can put on finance to qualify for the protection ?

Thanks

Peter

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2023 13:09

Posted on 14/08/2023 13:09

In that case, you seem to have pretty much answered your own question, One. If you need more info, the finance company will supply it. πŸ‘πŸ»

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2023 15:17

Posted on 14/08/2023 14:14 by onepjg

I have, but I don’t profess to know everything, so I always like to ask ?πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

Posted on 14/08/2023 15:17

Best to ask the experts rather than posters on a caravanning forum, One. πŸ˜€

onepjg replied on 14/08/2023 19:01

Posted on 14/08/2023 15:17 by Tinwheeler

Best to ask the experts rather than posters on a caravanning forum, One. πŸ˜€

Posted on 14/08/2023 19:01

Plenty of people on here with a huge amount of common sense, and also the potential to have had Motorhome finance….. so I thought it was a good place to ask…… seems you disagree. 
Thanks for your input πŸ‘

BlueVanMan replied on 19/08/2023 18:06

Posted on 19/08/2023 18:06

I don't think there is any way to secure a deposit where the price of goods is over £30,000. Thats quite a scary proposition when your new van might be costing £100k and the dealer is a limited company with a balance sheet showing assets of say £10,000. Dealers can and do go bust and there are examples of companies with extremely weak balance sheets. 

Personally I would not pay a deposit unless the balance sheet was very healthy and even then its a calculated risk. I appreciate that some dealers will not proceed on that basis. It may be possible to enter into a HP agreement and cancel it at an early stage but that isn't simple either. 

BlueVanMan replied on 19/08/2023 18:16

Posted on 14/08/2023 19:01 by onepjg

Plenty of people on here with a huge amount of common sense, and also the potential to have had Motorhome finance….. so I thought it was a good place to ask…… seems you disagree. 
Thanks for your input πŸ‘

Posted on 19/08/2023 18:16

Forums are a problem in the sense that there will be some people who are very expert indeed and some who don't know what they are talking about. Careful calm and systematic googling using section 75 (see above) etc may help you to separate the wheat from the chaff.

What may be interesting is to establish the correct name of the dealership.It should be shown on their website, communications etc. If its a company you can find out a lot about it using the following link, the official government companies website, such as the directors and their history and in particular the balance sheet of the company. This isn't perfect but it it may bring up red flags. 

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk

Its not so straightforward if the dealer is not a company and incidentally a person who trades as a partnership or an individual may be a better bet as they will have personal liability so a bit of a minefield really. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook