Rust above Citroen Relay/Promaster door rail - adv

Dilby replied on 23/08/2023 21:05

Posted on 23/08/2023 21:05

Hi all - This relates to an issue with my 2017 Citroen Relay which is also in various parts of the world a Ducato, Boxer, Jumper or Man Promaster. I bought my van back during Covid when there were hardly any to choose from so grabbed it while
I had the chance. Since then I've been through a couple of family tragedies and then welcomed a baby girl into my life,
so the conversion is still only halfway through. While it's been sitting on my drive I noticed some rust patches start to show above the stainless steel door sliding rail; I kept telling myself I'll sort it but it's now spread from 1 patch to several with signs of more bubbling under the paint. There's not much info to find online but some suggest it's catalytic rust caused by contact of two difference metals. What I'm confused about though is that this van is one of the most common vans on the road, so you'd think by this edition it would have been sorted. What's even more concerning is when you look at the rust patches up close it appears that there has been some repainting going on (hard to show in the photos but you should be able to make it out). Apart from this the van seems tidy and i can't see any other bodywork issues; the only other sign of rust is on the inside of the driver's wheel arch, but I'm assuming this can happen as it's a vulerable spot.
The van only has 36k miles; my guess is that it was part of a fleet that was then sidelined in covid and it sat around with not much use. I bought it from a puegeot garage and it's possible they just give everything a quick respray where necessary as part of their process as they have all the kit there. If need be I'm happy to not respray it as I was contemplating covering this part with vinyl anyway, but I was hoping some kind folks could help me with the following questions:

1. Have folks seen this before and does anyone have any thoughts on the theory that this is caused by 2 different metals
2. And if so does that mean I need to add some form of lining between the rail and body (sounss like a nightmare!)
3. If I remove existing rust with something like a dremel and cover with vinyl will that prevent the rust of spreading?
4. Is it suspicious that it looks like there have been paint cover ups there?
5. Does that wheel arch add any more suspicion or is that pretty normal?

Photos attached (please note there is muck in the gap between the rail and the van just because it desperately needs a clean, and there are water droplets on the van which may look like paint spray)

Thank you so much to anyone who has made it this far - I am a little stressed at what potential job/cost there is ahead!

Dyddy replied on 24/08/2023 07:30

Posted on 24/08/2023 07:30

Hi, Ive had several of these over the years, vans & trucks. Some seem to have faired better than others for rust although if a van has lived by the sea that can make things worse. 

If a vehicle has spent much of it's life standing around then water can sit in crevices especially if there's that moss stuff building up, a jet wash is usually good for getting it out.

I wouldn't say your rust is a reaction, either bad luck, previous panel repair or even poor paint from the factory. I've had then from new and around the 6 / 7 year mark the first tell tale stains that rust is on the way can appear.

The only way with surface rust is to grind it back then put on various primers and colour coat. I'd suggest taking that stainless rail off as there's going to be rust behind it. As for vinyl wrap chances are that could seal in any dampness and ultimately make things worse.

Good luck

eribaMotters replied on 24/08/2023 09:36

Posted on 24/08/2023 09:36

I'd take it to a small/family run local body shop for appraisal and an estimate. Whilst at it they could give it a thorough inspection for any other early signs of rust you may have missed.

A 2017 van should have lots of potential life left in it for you so definitely getting sorted professionally. 

Colin

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook