Swift Escape 664 Spare Wheel

ScreenName1180B3E308 replied on 26/03/2024 15:43

Posted on 26/03/2024 15:43

HI, Apologies if this has been discussed in the past. I have a 2015 Swift Escape 664 and recently had to change the rear wheel due to a puncture. The AA changed it but the mechanic was unable to undo the mechanism to free the spare from the underside of the van. He had to cut the cables and as a consequence he could not replace the wheel he removed into the carrier. Since then I have carried a repair kit and a gunge inflator. Not sure how much I trust them though. The point of the post is to see if anyone else has come across a similar issue and how they resolved it, even if it was to have the carrier replaced / repaired. I have a trip coming up and would feel more secure with a spare. However, another issue I noted when the AA guy was replacing the wheel was the height the van had to be jacked up to to get the rear wheel from under the wheel arch. He had to put blocks on to a trolley jack. There does not appear to be a jack with the vehicle? What is the point in carrying a spare if it is not possible to lift the van to change it??

I appreciate any responses

Tinwheeler replied on 26/03/2024 15:56

Posted on 26/03/2024 15:56

The usual way of removing the van wheels when the wheel arch is low is to jack up the chassis rather than the axle to give more clearance and then to bring the wheel out bottom first.

Are you sure the spare should be freed from below the vehicle? On the Peugeot and Fiat MHs I had with a similar arrangement the carrier was wound down from above with a winding tool which accessed the mechanism from a hexagon bolt head situated behind the offside rear wheel. Your handbook will tell you if yours is similar.

old ludlovian replied on 31/03/2024 19:10

Posted on 31/03/2024 19:10

Hi we also have 2015 664 there is a wind down mechanism on right hand side back wheel our jack is stored under front passenger seat just pull on plastic front hope this helps . we have also hidden spare key for habitation door because this will lock its self on occasions locking us out.  met another lady on a site that had this happen to her 

ScreenName1180B3E308 replied on 03/04/2024 13:12

Posted on 03/04/2024 13:12

Having got under the van it appears the AA guy has just broken the wider mechanism cover. The wheel carrier still winds up and down. I’ve had the spare repaired and I will refit to the carrier when we get a dry day!!!

I have also located the Jack and tools under passenger seat. Having read a few posts regarding the Jack not being up to the job I think I may invest in a bottle Jack to ensure I can change the wheel if I have to. More weight to carry but better that than get stuck with a flat.

Thanks for the responses.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook