Swift Select/Champagne 184 water filter?

Another DaveB replied on 09/12/2023 10:52

Posted on 09/12/2023 10:52

Right, now I’ve managed to find the motorhomes topic (by looking for an old discussion I took part in!) I can ask the actual question I was wanting!

I’d like to do a purification on my Swift Champagne 184 fresh water system, mainly because it’s recommended and I’ve not done it before. However, all the instructions, including the Swift manual, tell you to remove & straight pipe any water filter. However, nowhere, including said manual, tells you where to find it!

I’ve had good poke around and can’t see anything that looks like a water filter. I’ve found the surge protector, but no filter. Checked under both rear lounge seats, under the kitchen sink, under the oven…

Does the184 (or indeed any Swift panel van conversion) not come with one? Or is it just really well hidden?

Thanks!

Dave

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2023 15:14

Posted on 09/12/2023 15:14

Filters, as I have known them, are often attached to or near the water pump, usually on their side and have a clear Perspex cover. If it is your intention to use something like Puriclean through the system do you need to remove the filter of any of the pipework?

David

Another DaveB replied on 09/12/2023 16:15

Posted on 09/12/2023 16:15

Thanks. The only item I could see near the pump was the surge protector. I imagine any filter would be a similar size to that?

young thomas replied on 09/12/2023 17:26

Posted on 09/12/2023 17:26

I'm not sure from your post whether you are looking to 'purify' the whole system by using a recommended agent like Puriclean or you're looking to replace the water filter which may (or may not) be installed in line for (say) drinking from the tap?

either way, this has nothing to do with the filter (which should be) sited adjacent to the main water pump. This is there purely to filter out any stray debris from entering the pump mechanism.

Typical water pump with filter

Another DaveB replied on 09/12/2023 18:24

Posted on 09/12/2023 17:26 by young thomas

I'm not sure from your post whether you are looking to 'purify' the whole system by using a recommended agent like Puriclean or you're looking to replace the water filter which may (or may not) be installed in line for (say) drinking from the tap?

either way, this has nothing to do with the filter (which should be) sited adjacent to the main water pump. This is there purely to filter out any stray debris from entering the pump mechanism.

Typical water pump with filter

Posted on 09/12/2023 18:24

Ah, thanks, more clarification:, none of which was particularly explained by the dealer and I keep forgetting to ask when it’s in for servicing!

Yes, I’m looking to do a puriclean on the whole system, as it’s never been done.

Dave

DavidKlyne replied on 09/12/2023 21:14

Posted on 09/12/2023 21:14

I would have thought that adding the recommended solution of Puriclean to the fresh water tank  and then pumping it through the system should be enough without the need remove the filter? If you drink water from the tank you will also need to run a couple of tankful's of fresh water through to get rid of the taste.

David

KjellNN replied on 11/12/2023 00:39

Posted on 11/12/2023 00:39

The sort of filters that should be removed and replaced with a bit of pipe if you plan to sterilise the water system are the ones that you are supposed to replace every year.    Not the grit filter next to the  water pump.

Swift have not fitted the replaceable filters in caravans for at least 25 years, so I doubt they do in MHs either.

JollyKernow replied on 11/12/2023 09:33

Posted on 09/12/2023 10:52 by Another DaveB

Right, now I’ve managed to find the motorhomes topic (by looking for an old discussion I took part in!) I can ask the actual question I was wanting!

I’d like to do a purification on my Swift Champagne 184 fresh water system, mainly because it’s recommended and I’ve not done it before. However, all the instructions, including the Swift manual, tell you to remove & straight pipe any water filter. However, nowhere, including said manual, tells you where to find it!

I’ve had good poke around and can’t see anything that looks like a water filter. I’ve found the surge protector, but no filter. Checked under both rear lounge seats, under the kitchen sink, under the oven…

Does the184 (or indeed any Swift panel van conversion) not come with one? Or is it just really well hidden?

Thanks!

Dave

Posted on 11/12/2023 09:33

As others have said, there's no filter only the grit filter at the head of the pump. No need to touch that at all. With an empty fresh tank, glug in your puraclean and fill up then run all outlets (don't forget the shower) until tank empty. Don't have the boiler turned on. Flush through at least two more full tanks, job done. I've had my Rhythm for ten years and do that job every three. The manuals are very generic and were probably written decades ago with a few tweaks. There's always a youtube video out therewink

JK

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook