System error E517H on truma system

GailD15 replied on 18/09/2020 07:55

Posted on 18/09/2020 07:55

Hi, we’ve not has this happen before...on the panel for the Truma heating/power etc system on our Swift Freestyle 612 motorhome, a red system error Notice has come up. I have seen that other motorhomers have said leave the system for 15 minutes before trying to redo anything, I’ve left it overnight but still can’t get my heating or hot water to work. The gas wasn’t switched on but is now and we’ve checked that water runs through the hot water taps. 
Any help or advice would be appreciated, thank you

replied on 10/05/2021 09:31

Posted on 10/05/2021 08:57 by SteveL

I believe ours can if I pay for a module. It says iNet ready on it. However, I can’t really see any point. It’s just above the door in a convenient place to operate, we have just the one panel. Although I have turned of 240 volt before switching it off and not turned on the gas before requesting its use, so far the error codes have disappeared once the supply is provided. Not done the 12 volt yet, although our panel stays on even if the 12 volt to the rest of the van is turned off, so not sure if it would be an issue.🤞

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 10/05/2021 09:43

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:43

I have the same van as BB. My only gripe about the Truma is that it doesn't have a variable fan speed like I had on my previous van with a Whale system. In fact the instruction booklet recommends not running the fan at the high setting lest the bearings wear out. The trouble is, the default low setting is but a whisper.

SteveL replied on 10/05/2021 09:52

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:43 by cyberyacht

I have the same van as BB. My only gripe about the Truma is that it doesn't have a variable fan speed like I had on my previous van with a Whale system. In fact the instruction booklet recommends not running the fan at the high setting lest the bearings wear out. The trouble is, the default low setting is but a whisper.

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:52

Ours has an Eco setting which I tend to leave it set on. That seems to vary the fan speed dependant on requirements. Earlier in the week when we had minus 3 at night it was running substantially faster than it was this morning with the temperature well above zero. I assume it is linked to how easy the system is finding maintaining the set temperature.

SeasideBill replied on 10/05/2021 10:00

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:52 by SteveL

Ours has an Eco setting which I tend to leave it set on. That seems to vary the fan speed dependant on requirements. Earlier in the week when we had minus 3 at night it was running substantially faster than it was this morning with the temperature well above zero. I assume it is linked to how easy the system is finding maintaining the set temperature.

Posted on 10/05/2021 10:00

Yes, mine is variable speed on ‘Eco’ responding to the conditions. The other ‘interesting’ feature is the water temperature. I think it should hit 60c on ‘high’, but it often shuts down at significantly less than that. I’ve never really understood the ‘boost’ feature but that seems to do its own thing as well.

SteveL replied on 10/05/2021 10:19

Posted on 10/05/2021 10:19

The hot water does seem a bit of a mystery. If unused ours seems to let it get well below 60c without switching on (symbol  flashing) However, as soon as a cupful is run off it starts heating and takes it back up to temperature. I assume it’s an ecological function.

replied on 10/05/2021 10:22

Posted on 10/05/2021 10:22

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

kenexton replied on 10/05/2021 13:28

Posted on 10/05/2021 13:28

Ours has all the latest gizmos which my OH asserts that she fully understands.After 42 years of marriage I know better than to argue with her.I use the smartphone App to operate it for two reasons:the backlit bright blue and white screen  is easier for me to read and I can turn on the hotwater/heating without getting out of bed and being told off for "clattering".

Funny thing is she always has the first shower and I get sent off with the dog.My shower always seems to be lukewarm when I come back despite her assurances that it is on"Boost";not that I would ever question her certainty of mind.....

young thomas replied on 10/05/2021 18:24

Posted on 09/05/2021 20:48 by SeasideBill

First 3 years experience of Combi with a professional installation was fine, everything worked fine and was reliable. Last year it all started to go south, connectivity problems with new iPhone 11 & SE products, eventually fixed but took a long while. They’ve just updated the App and same old problems are back! Also, Combi just cuts out when it feels like it and Truma service agents can’t find anything wrong with it! I no longer have confidence in the Combi and might junk the lot in preparation for a more reliable system for next winter! 

Posted on 10/05/2021 18:24

surely the obvious thing to do is to use it in 'manual mode' (forget the phone and press the buttons....) for a trip or so....at least you'll be able to conclude whether the issue is in the unit or the way its controlled.

young thomas replied on 10/05/2021 18:34

Posted on 10/05/2021 09:43 by cyberyacht

Posted on 10/05/2021 18:34

CY, it should have an Eco (low fan) setting and a HIGH (faster speed) setting...

in addition, the difference between the ambient temperature and the proposed new temperature makes a difference.

moving the temperature up from (say) 19 to 20 deg will be done quite gently...moving the temp from 19 to (say) 23 will make the fan spin much faster...

all electronic kit has a finite lifetime (built in obsolescence) and running the High setting more, probably will reduce life....but by how much and how quickly? actually, when its cold or we are not on hook up, i find using gas and ECO a really good combination, warms the van quickly and very quietly.

young thomas replied on 10/05/2021 22:41

Posted on 10/05/2021 10:22 by

Mine has 3 fan speeds Eco High and Boost. The water is allegedly  40c unless  boost is selected at which raises  it 60c and returns to 40 after 20mins

Posted on 10/05/2021 22:41

the two most misunderstood settings on the Combi are Boost and Mix.

Boost (for water heating) does a number of things...

a) it heats to 62 deg not the 60 deg which HOT does...BTW, ECO heats the water to 40deg..

b) it prioritises water heating over space heating....if the space heating is ON and heating the van, it will stop in favour of water heating.

c) The water temperature is then kept at the higher level (about 144 °F (62 °C)) for two subsequent heating cycles. When the water temperature is reached, the room is heated again.

BOOST for room heating gives Fast room heating - Available if the difference between the selected and the current room temperature is > 18 °F (10 °C). if wqter heqting is also running that will be stopped in favour of the room heating.

Mix (I or II) is a great setting as it combines gas and electric...using upto 2kw gas (on the Combi 4E) or upto 4kw gas (on the Combi 6E) pluse either 900 or 1800w depending on which Mix setting.

so, on space heating, Mix 1 gives a total power of 2.9kw (4E) or 4.9kw (6E)

Mix II gives a total power of 3.8kw (4E) or 5.8kw (6E)

on water heating, although Mix can be selected, there is no Mix mode and the unit defaults to EL at the Mix setting I or II.

lastly, when selecting gas only for water heating, only the lowest burner setting (2kw) is used, therefore there is little difference in using EL II or Gas.....1.8kw v 2kw.

as above, the Combi is a great unit but, due to its 'water jacket surrounding an air burner' construction, it isnt quite as simple as one might think...

12years of mutual respect (and a pretty good knowledge of the manual) has made it work extremely reliably for us...incl 2 showers from one tankful each morning....but thats another story.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook