Truma Solar panel issues

Topcat1819 replied on 06/09/2020 00:43

Posted on 06/09/2020 00:43

Hi all, very new to the motorhome world, we’ve just picked up our new addition and trying to work out the solar panel system... it doesn’t seem to have a light on in H1 to show the charger is working, the sun has been out lovely today so it should be generating something, other lights are on though.. the list seems to suggest that the battery is not connected to it... how can I check this? There must be lots of pro’s out there to help a newbie novice 🤞🤞

Thanks all 🤔

DavidKlyne replied on 06/09/2020 13:06

Posted on 06/09/2020 13:06

Topcat

I have just been out to look at my Truma Solar Control Panel. (see picture below) I only have a green light on to indicate charging. I wonder if the light on the H1 side only comes on if you actually change the setting and then goes out once the new setting is set? Mine only charges the leisure battery as you can see from the picture. Checking the main control panel in the van it indicates a voltage of 14.4v for the leisure battery so obviously charging.

David

SeasideBill replied on 06/09/2020 14:25

Posted on 06/09/2020 00:43 by Topcat1819

Hi all, very new to the motorhome world, we’ve just picked up our new addition and trying to work out the solar panel system... it doesn’t seem to have a light on in H1 to show the charger is working, the sun has been out lovely today so it should be generating something, other lights are on though.. the list seems to suggest that the battery is not connected to it... how can I check this? There must be lots of pro’s out there to help a newbie novice 🤞🤞

Thanks all 🤔

Posted on 06/09/2020 14:25

It should either be illuminated (charging) or slowly flashing (fully charged). If not, check battery connection and fuse between controller and battery terminal. Check voltages on both side of  the controller. As David notes, on a sunny day like today you’d expect to see something up to about 14.7v. They are quite delicate and easily fried.

Those controllers are very common although many different brands.

viatorem replied on 14/09/2020 17:10

Posted on 14/09/2020 17:10

Check all connections are secured they can work loose.

Could be battery is going. 

Or I've had the controller freeze the only way to resolve it was disconnect the battery for a minute then reconnect

peedee replied on 14/09/2020 21:21

Posted on 14/09/2020 21:21

With only the solar panel charging the battery, i.e. no mains connected to the van you could check with a voltmeter what the voltage is across the battery. As David says should be about 14 volts on a nice sunny day, certainly above 12.8 volts. Checking at the battery should show you if problems lie elsewhere or not.

peedee

ScreenName7BD046DFC8 replied on 15/11/2023 14:39

Posted on 06/09/2020 14:25 by SeasideBill

It should either be illuminated (charging) or slowly flashing (fully charged). If not, check battery connection and fuse between controller and battery terminal. Check voltages on both side of  the controller. As David notes, on a sunny day like today you’d expect to see something up to about 14.7v. They are quite delicate and easily fried.

Those controllers are very common although many different brands.

Posted on 15/11/2023 14:39

Hi when you say slowly flashing is that every second or slower ?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook