Water leak next to the pump

Matt4321 replied on 07/01/2018 18:38

Posted on 07/01/2018 18:38

Dear All,

Help!  Our family are loving our motorhome experience, three full seasons now completed.  It is fair to say that my complete lack of technical ability has lead to a few bumps in the road - but I am learning!  I decided to do the correct thing today and drive my motorhome, bring it back home (we store it elsewhere) run the heating and generally make sure things were OK.  Once I had put some water into the tank I went inside to make sure the hot water tank was filled prior to putting on the heating.  After a while I heard a dripping sound and then noted a fairly significant flood on the floor.

Please see photo, the thing to the right of the pump was spraying water out of its top.  I think I now know it to be a surge damper, although I cannot find the exact part online.  What I am confused about, is how this supposedly hollow cylinder is full of water?  The system had been drained prior to storage and there is no obvious exterior damage to the part.  Could there be some frozen water somewhere in the system?  Now that it's full of water is it broken and do I require a new one?  Any thoughts from the collective knowledge out there would be very gratefully received!

Thanks

ForestR replied on 07/01/2018 20:13

Posted on 07/01/2018 20:13

• Yes , it is a surge damper and probably a Truma part. You are also probably right that is has cracked due to frost damage and will have to be replaced. I had a similar hairline crack on an inlet which was not easy to see. Looking online it seems that Truma have changed the design and are now charging around £125.00 for the new model. I could not find any of the model on your photo in stock anywhere. The Whale equivalent is only about £25.00 but  its probably not compatible with the flowjet pump and Truma system.

You could try ringing Truma at Burton on Trent for information on availability of the model you have installed.

young thomas replied on 07/01/2018 20:58

Posted on 07/01/2018 20:58

i dont see why the whale one would know which type of pump sent the water.....of ypu dont get any joy from truma, od try the whale one.

Matt4321 replied on 07/01/2018 22:49

Posted on 07/01/2018 20:13 by ForestR
  • Yes , it is a surge damper and probably a Truma part. You are also probably right that is has cracked due to frost damage and will have to be replaced. I had a similar hairline crack on an inlet which was not easy to see. Looking online it seems that Truma have changed the design and are now charging around £125.00 for the new model. I could not find any of the model on your photo in stock anywhere. The Whale equivalent is only about £25.00 but  its probably not compatible with the flowjet pump and Truma system.

You could try ringing Truma at Burton on Trent for information on availability of the model you have installed.

Posted on 07/01/2018 22:49

Thanks for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated

Matt4321 replied on 07/01/2018 22:52

Posted on 07/01/2018 20:58 by young thomas

i dont see why the whale one would know which type of pump sent the water.....of ypu dont get any joy from truma, od try the whale one.

Posted on 07/01/2018 22:52

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I very much appreciate it.  I'll do some phoning around tomorrow, particularly as the Whale one seems much cheaper...

Metheven replied on 08/01/2018 09:55

Posted on 08/01/2018 09:55

Agree with 'BB', the expensive Truma damper has incorporated pressure switch control which you do not want. The Whale is just a buffer reservoir as is your existing Truma unit, go for that.

TonyIshUK replied on 18/01/2018 18:23

Posted on 18/01/2018 18:23

As a temporary measure , remove the surge damper and use a short length of pipe and joiner / end stop.

Maybe just slowly turn taps on and off until the part arrives ;-)

rgds

KGF replied on 23/01/2018 11:52

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:52

The surge damper will always contain some water and unfortunately this doesn't empty automatically when you drain down. I always remove it and shake the water out after draining.

Don't forget unless you have blown through the pipes there will still be quite a lot of water trapped in the pipework.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook