Whale underfloor boiler problems

ScreenName65AB0462BA replied on 05/12/2023 20:59

Posted on 05/12/2023 20:59

Hi

I am interested in understanding other users experience with the Whale boilers.

We bought our new Elddis Chatsworth 194, from Glossop Caravans, in March 22.

I reported a leak from the boiler at its first service, but the dealer could not find a fault.

The leak persisted and on the next visit, the dealer said it was contamination in the relief valve and that they had cleaned it.

The leak remained and this time they replaced the valve under warranty.

The boiler then stopped working on gas, which I was told was due to PCB damage, probably as a result of the leaks.

The boiler was returned to Whale, who say the failure is due to frost damage, hence not covered by warranty. I don't accept this as the system has always been drained, before being put into storage, as per the handover instructions.

I am now being told I need to pay almost £800 for a new boiler.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, if so how did you deal with them?

I don't want to buy a replacement if it will fail again during winter.

All ideas and feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Tammygirl replied on 08/12/2023 17:01

Posted on 08/12/2023 17:01

We own an Auto-Trail V-Line PVC. Our model has a Truma but the newer models have the Whale system which is under the van.

In the V-Line FB group there is many complaints about the Whale heater. They range from leaks to poor performance to it refusing to light on gas. The system does have a valve that opens when pressure builds up and this vents  under the van, hence the many leaks folk report. Whale say this is normal.

Sorry can't help about the replacement boiler as not heard of anyone that needed it done. Hope you get some satisfaction. 

ScreenName65AB0462BA replied on 13/12/2023 14:22

Posted on 13/12/2023 14:22

Thanks for the feedback.  Tried the legal link and it appears the 'frost damage' claim is their get out as not covered and no consumer protection :-(

LLM replied on 13/12/2023 20:26

Posted on 05/12/2023 20:59 by ScreenName65AB0462BA

Hi

I am interested in understanding other users experience with the Whale boilers.

We bought our new Elddis Chatsworth 194, from Glossop Caravans, in March 22.

I reported a leak from the boiler at its first service, but the dealer could not find a fault.

The leak persisted and on the next visit, the dealer said it was contamination in the relief valve and that they had cleaned it.

The leak remained and this time they replaced the valve under warranty.

The boiler then stopped working on gas, which I was told was due to PCB damage, probably as a result of the leaks.

The boiler was returned to Whale, who say the failure is due to frost damage, hence not covered by warranty. I don't accept this as the system has always been drained, before being put into storage, as per the handover instructions.

I am now being told I need to pay almost £800 for a new boiler.

Has anyone had any similar experiences, if so how did you deal with them?

I don't want to buy a replacement if it will fail again during winter.

All ideas and feedback welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on 13/12/2023 20:26

The cost of a replacement PCB is roughly £175.  If that is the only fault Whale should be able to replace it for much less than £800.  I therefore suspect that there is much more at fault hence the whole replacement recommendation.  Unfortunately you are very unlikely to get any admission from the manufacturer that will help.  I suggest you put it down to experience and accept the inevitable.  Good luck.

ScreenName65AB0462BA replied on 03/02/2024 07:51

Posted on 03/02/2024 07:51

Update:

Checked with the legal team and it seems the 'Frost damage' is Whales 'get out of Jail free' card. Various forum threads confirm they frequently use it. 

Whale customer service ere unable to tell me what I would do different to prevent it happening again and are exceptionally unhelpful.

Elddis customer service no where near as supportive as swift - no help at all.

Glossop met me part way and reduced the price of the boiler and didn't apply labor charge.

Next time I will be avoiding both Elddis and Whale.

young thomas replied on 03/02/2024 11:14

Posted on 03/02/2024 07:51 by ScreenName65AB0462BA

Update:

Checked with the legal team and it seems the 'Frost damage' is Whales 'get out of Jail free' card. Various forum threads confirm they frequently use it. 

Whale customer service ere unable to tell me what I would do different to prevent it happening again and are exceptionally unhelpful.

Elddis customer service no where near as supportive as swift - no help at all.

Glossop met me part way and reduced the price of the boiler and didn't apply labor charge.

Next time I will be avoiding both Elddis and Whale.

Posted on 03/02/2024 11:14

"Next time I will be avoiding both Elddis and Whale."

For what it's worth, TG's earlier posts re complaints with the Whale systems mirror my own observations and, despite Elddis now being part of the Hymer group,I wouldn't go near a van with one.

Truma and ALDE both have good reputations for terrific customer service and either will take customers for repairs at their HQs.

good luck.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook