What do I need ?

onepjg replied on 27/10/2023 19:42

Posted on 27/10/2023 19:42

Hi All

Just purchased our first motorhome, having always been caravaners.

Any suggestions for things we will need, that we didn’t need before ?

Thanks

onepjg replied on 29/10/2023 22:57

Posted on 29/10/2023 08:30 by Takethedogalong

Hope you enjoy your new MH😁 We can recommend Silverscreens/Taylormade screens, great insulators, and help keep excessive heat out in Summer. If your cab are proves a bit cool, a very small portable oil filled radiator will take off the chill in Winter. It’s all we use for overnight, even when it drops very cold. Dunelm, around £20.

Best advice from us? Travel as light but as comfy as you need in terms of things you take with you. It keeps set up/pack away easy and simple, and, if you can, use it to go off sites, rather than like a caravan. With a little bit of research, you can generally find easy parking, and that way you can enjoy your own facilities off site as well, and it won’t restrict your choice of sites as much. 

Nellie’s point is good advice. You don’t have to stick to just HS pitches, if you use common sense, and have some decent underwheel mats/ramps to help. But always check your ground before driving on. We probably do 60/40% in favour of grass during Summer, but tend to use either HS or reinforced grass in Winter. We carry track mats, sometimes bridging ramps. All depends if you want to make the effort or stick with HS.

Have a lovely time 👍

Posted on 29/10/2023 22:57

Got the oil rad from the caravanning days.

Our opinion is to use it regularly off site, so a minimal set up/ head out routine is the plan. It my not work out / end up like that, but it’s our starting point.

Thanks 👍

SteveL replied on 30/10/2023 07:40

Posted on 30/10/2023 07:40

In regard to minimal / quick set up. A short 10 metre EHU lead, as mentioned by JK upthread speeds things up, over winding up 25 metres. Stopping at 19 locations on our last tour, we only used the long one about 3 times.

Also a change over our caravanning days, where we had a toaster, electric kettle, coffee maker etc to put away. As we have a cheap refillable gas system we did away with those and replaced them with using the gas hob / grill. Much less clutter given the smaller workspace areas and just a gas kettle to stow.

Even allowing for putting water in / emptying out, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by how much quicker / less effort setting up / decamping is. We certainly were.

Lukeledge replied on 30/10/2023 08:39

Posted on 30/10/2023 08:39

Levelling ramps - one small pair and one high pair, if you are going anywhere other than  large commercial sites then you will be lucky to find a perfectly level spot and sometimes need ramps under 3 out of 4 wheels.

Tinwheeler replied on 30/10/2023 09:29

Posted on 30/10/2023 09:29

Funnily enough, levelling ramps come way down on my list of must haves. We have some but have only needed them a handful of times over the years. Eyeing up the ground and shuffling a few inches can make all the difference and it’s easier still if you’re not constrained by pitching rules.

It’s true that shorter vans are easier to level and I don’t know if the OP’s Transit sits nose down as the Sevel vans do. If so, parking with the front on higher ground generally overcomes it. 

SteveL replied on 30/10/2023 09:50

Posted on 30/10/2023 09:29 by Tinwheeler

Funnily enough, levelling ramps come way down on my list of must haves. We have some but have only needed them a handful of times over the years. Eyeing up the ground and shuffling a few inches can make all the difference and it’s easier still if you’re not constrained by pitching rules.

It’s true that shorter vans are easier to level and I don’t know if the OP’s Transit sits nose down as the Sevel vans do. If so, parking with the front on higher ground generally overcomes it. 

Posted on 30/10/2023 09:50

I would agree with that TW. Although we have a set of ramps, I hate using them unless absolutely necessary. Our Hymer has a nose down attitude. Most pitches dip up or down from the roadway to aid drainage. Putting the van in nose or back first to compensate usually sorts out front to back. We generally get away with only using ramps on  at most 10% of sites, although aren’t that bothered about being totally level, particularly if only stopping for a night, everything seems to work well enough on a slight tilt.

Takethedogalong replied on 30/10/2023 14:34

Posted on 29/10/2023 22:57 by onepjg

Got the oil rad from the caravanning days.

Our opinion is to use it regularly off site, so a minimal set up/ head out routine is the plan. It my not work out / end up like that, but it’s our starting point.

Thanks 👍

Posted on 30/10/2023 14:34

That’s good😁 If you can get used to using it, rather than having/wanting to leave it on pitch for majority of time, you will relish the warmth, comfort and niceness of having your own private loo, somewhere comfy to sit and watch the world go by, a rain shelter with all the comforts, and we simply love taking ours out for a nice picnic😁

I notice that like us, you also tour with a dog as well, and it gives them plenty of space if you say want to take in something like an NT property. You can open up the skylights wide, used the various blinds for shading, and they will be far more comfortable than in a car. We have parked up right on the edge of lovely beaches, gone for a swim, come back, had a shower, then a nice lunch, a walk, a rest and then headed back to camp for overnight.

Just needs a tiny bit of pre planning sometimes, your MH isn’t that big compared with many. De cluttering is the key, travel as light as comfortably possible. 

Long way for you, down in Kent, but Northumberland is fantastic with a motorhome, and most of the parking tends to be free, even in town car parks if you use long stay. You have the fabulous beaches, the beautiful moorlands, lots of historic places to visit, interesting bird and wildlife and some great campsite. Oh….and Hadrians Wall to explore, lots of car parks all along😁 Enjoy.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook