Cadac Carri Chef 40/50

MikeBos replied on 11/02/2024 15:38

Posted on 11/02/2024 15:38

I'm trying to decide between the Cadac Carri Chef 40 and Carri Chef 50 gas BBQs and looking for any advice to help with making a choice.  I've seen the Carri Chef 50 at a local dealer and it looks well made, although bigger than I would need (only cooking for 2).  My next step is to try and view the Carri Chef 40 for comparison, if I can find one on display not too far away from Shrewsbury.

Essentially they have the same features, so I'm inclined to choose the '40.  Does anyone have any advice to offer from their own experience of these products? 

SteveL replied on 11/02/2024 17:07

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:07

Sorry, I can’t help with the choice between those two. However, if it was me only cooking for two I would go for the Safari chef. We are still using one of the originals that we have had for years. I am going to have to replace it with a new one soon. We do have one of the larger versions, no idea what number as we have had it even longer than the safari. We found it unnecessary bulk to cart about when there was just the two of us.

Arch replied on 11/02/2024 17:36

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:36

From my experience with the large and small is don't bother, all the effort of cleaning isn't worth it we sold ours after a short use and purchased a portable single burner gas stove for £10 and use a pan it gives the same results without the cleaning effort, we also now take our dual draw Ninja air fryer which does every thing a far better purchase than the Cadac.

JollyKernow replied on 11/02/2024 18:32

Posted on 11/02/2024 17:07 by SteveL

Sorry, I can’t help with the choice between those two. However, if it was me only cooking for two I would go for the Safari chef. We are still using one of the originals that we have had for years. I am going to have to replace it with a new one soon. We do have one of the larger versions, no idea what number as we have had it even longer than the safari. We found it unnecessary bulk to cart about when there was just the two of us.

Posted on 11/02/2024 18:32

Another vote for a safari chef Steve. Plenty big enough for 2 people and small enough to stow under a seat in the van. I have the mark 1 and 2. If anything I prefer the older one, I've had to replace the grill plate thing on the newer one after only a year due to corrosion. The mark 1 is of better quality and feels more sturdy than newer models.

All cadacs suffer with the flame going out in anything but a breeze but the safari chef is easier to draught proof with one of those fold up tin shield things. I got mine from towsure.

JK

Paul Richards replied on 16/02/2024 12:37

Posted on 16/02/2024 12:37

I also found the Cadac a nightmare to clean. I now use a small electric griddle. Loads to choose from around the £3-0 mark. This is just one example https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/slow-cookers-and-multi-cookers/cerasure-copper-teppanyaki-copper-t14037cop?srsltid=AfmBOopSzNNtLs6IOEph6nMvCYxQV9RBUym1X81rheWrmBWaz3OL1ohGlMw

SteveL replied on 16/02/2024 12:51

Posted on 16/02/2024 12:37 by Paul Richards

I also found the Cadac a nightmare to clean. I now use a small electric griddle. Loads to choose from around the £3-0 mark. This is just one example https://www.towerhousewares.co.uk/slow-cookers-and-multi-cookers/cerasure-copper-teppanyaki-copper-t14037cop?srsltid=AfmBOopSzNNtLs6IOEph6nMvCYxQV9RBUym1X81rheWrmBWaz3OL1ohGlMw

Posted on 16/02/2024 12:51

It does depend on what you cook on them. Ours gets used a lot for fish, which doesn’t get it that messy. Sticky BBQ sauces with a lot of sugar are a definite no no. The example suggested above would work fine on most sites in the UK. However, not so much in France where a lot of the places we stop only have 6 amps. It appears to be rated at 1800 watts.

DSB replied on 18/02/2024 21:26

Posted on 18/02/2024 21:26

We have a CarriChef, which we now only use at home.  It's rather big forc just the two of us, so we now have a Grillo Chef, which we take away with us on caravan trips.

With regards to cleaning, we don't generally find it a problem.  More often than not, we use the chef pan and we use a silicone cooking/ baking liner (Bake-O-Glide are a good make, but there are llenty around) cut to the size of the pan.  It makes cleaning really easy for us.

I know Cadac now have an electric Cadac.  With the increasing difficulty of getting gas, perhaps this is the future for the cadac range??

David

eribaMotters replied on 18/02/2024 21:40

Posted on 18/02/2024 21:40

I've had 2 Cadac for the caravan. When I broke down what/how I was using them it was as a heat source, not a BBQ. As others have found they are a pain to clean so I made a sideways step a few years ago. I use an induction hob on an extension lead so I can get away from the van and cook outside when the weather is nice. Our Tefal model has a low default/start up level and has proved fine on 6amp French sites. The bonus is if we only need one hob/ring when cooking inside I use this and make the most of my electric hook up.

As a back up I bought a single burner Foker gas ring that I run off my Campingaz 907 bottle, carried as a just in case my main Calorlite bottle runs out when in France. https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/foker-single-burner-gas-camping-stove.html

Colin

mickysf replied on 18/02/2024 22:06

Posted on 18/02/2024 22:06

These gas and electric outdoor cookers are fine but BBQs they are not. Solid fuel is at the heart of this cooking technique. We have a Cob BBQ using charcoal or hardwood  briquettes and a Ninja Air fryer both of which we use outdoors. Both produce beautiful meals but only the Cobb produces that near real authentic BBQ taste. The Ninja is the quickest and cleanest method but lacks that real outdoor cooking experience.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook