Fridges - pros and cons

peedee replied on 02/09/2023 10:36

Posted on 02/09/2023 10:36

Seeing a post about compressor fridges got me thinking why are they preferred by some? I have never had one in a leisure vehicle and have never had any problems using absorption fridges. So what are the pros and cons of having a compressor fridge over an absorption one?

peedee

Hja replied on 02/09/2023 15:27

Posted on 02/09/2023 15:27

We have had both. Currently a compressor fridge. When we got this van I knew it had a compressor fridge but not really what that meant. For the avoidance of doubt compressor fridges work of the leisure batteries. I am referring g here to the built in fridge that most are used to in their vans. Absorption fridges are usually three way fridges, 12 v when driving, then choice of gas or mains electric when stationary. Mains electric only when you have an ehu.

we are quite happy with our fridge although it did encourage us to swap to a lithium battery. Compressor fridges are users of battery power. I am sure others will tell you how much they use but for us with a 95 ah battery and 120 w solar panel we found we could not do two night off grid unless it was really sunny or we were taking the van off site during the day. 
With the rising cost of electricity and more metering we wanted to be able to go off grid where sites offered the option and to use aires. We may not “ get our money back” in reduced fees but it gives us more flexibility.

I think compressor fridges usually give you more useable space than absorption fridges of the same overall size. They are supposed to be better in hot temperatures, but I can’t verify that. Some say they are noisy. They are noisier than absorption fridges but most have a night time setting which is quieter. We no longer bother with that as the fridge turns itself off, so to speak, at night anyway because it is not opened. Our fridge is at the far end of the kitchen away from the beds, so that may help as well.

Our do estimate fridges at home are compressor fridges.

DavidKlyne replied on 02/09/2023 16:07

Posted on 02/09/2023 16:07

Nearly all domestic fridges are compressor ones. Usually the only exception is if you have a fridge in a hotel room when they tend to be absorption fridges, I imagine because of the silent running. The Roaming Radfords that have a YouTube Channel had their absorption fridge/freezer removed and a compressor on to replace it. They have just done a trip to Morocco where day time temperatures were 40+ some days so I suspect HJA is correct about the better performance in hot weather and perhaps that despite using campsites would they also get EHU? I wonder if roof mounted air con units in motorhomes are absorption or compressor as they had trouble with that on very hot days. 

David

Tinwheeler replied on 02/09/2023 16:26

Posted on 02/09/2023 16:26

"For the avoidance of doubt compressor fridges work of the leisure batteries."

A compressor fridge can also work off mains electricity providing it has the necessary adapter gizmo fitted. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook