Kampa 380 Air roof lining

Graham55 replied on 14/07/2019 21:53

Posted on 14/07/2019 21:53

having just spent quite some time fitting the roof liner in our new air awning, is it necessary to remove the liner when taking down the awning. Loki got at it I can see no reason to remove it. Any advice ?

richardandros replied on 15/07/2019 07:05

Posted on 15/07/2019 07:05

You could probably get away with leaving it in situ - personally, I wouldn't simply because it's something else to contend with when trying to pack the awning away. Plus, if there was the slightest bit of damp, you are likely to get mildew forming.

I had a discussion with the Kampa Sales Manager at last year's national about our, then new, Kampa 390 Grande roof lining being difficult and time consuming to fit - simply because the O rings were too small as compared with the size of the turn buttons and the need to stretch the lining over such a vast space.

Over time, however, the fabric must have stretched slightly because I can now put it up in three or four minutes and taking it down and folding away is even simpler.

Rufs replied on 15/07/2019 07:57

Posted on 15/07/2019 07:05 by richardandros

You could probably get away with leaving it in situ - personally, I wouldn't simply because it's something else to contend with when trying to pack the awning away. Plus, if there was the slightest bit of damp, you are likely to get mildew forming.

I had a discussion with the Kampa Sales Manager at last year's national about our, then new, Kampa 390 Grande roof lining being difficult and time consuming to fit - simply because the O rings were too small as compared with the size of the turn buttons and the need to stretch the lining over such a vast space.

Over time, however, the fabric must have stretched slightly because I can now put it up in three or four minutes and taking it down and folding away is even simpler.

Posted on 15/07/2019 07:57

does the roof lining reduce the condensation in the roof space ??? or is it just a nice to have, a great expense ?

Cavalier Caravaners replied on 15/07/2019 12:16

Posted on 15/07/2019 12:16

We had a rood lining in our 390 but found it did not reduce condensation or make it cooler. we stopped using it as it added nothing except reduce sunlight on very sunny days. while we were using it we did always pack it away as it would have got mildew/mould on it otherwise.

Rufs replied on 15/07/2019 13:40

Posted on 15/07/2019 12:16 by Cavalier Caravaners

We had a rood lining in our 390 but found it did not reduce condensation or make it cooler. we stopped using it as it added nothing except reduce sunlight on very sunny days. while we were using it we did always pack it away as it would have got mildew/mould on it otherwise.

Posted on 15/07/2019 13:40

tks, and £50+ for a bit of nylon is OTT

richardandros replied on 15/07/2019 14:34

Posted on 15/07/2019 14:34

I have also found that the roof lining doesn't stop condensation - but what it does do is stop it dripping on your head or anything else in the awning!

The original ones were a nylon material and, in my opinion, better than the current cotton fabric, in that any condensation ran off the edge of the lining near the windows and thereby avoided wetting everything. The current cotton one just tends to absorb it.

I think ours was considerably more than £50 - more like £75 and therefore expensive. It does make the awning look 'finished off', though.

Rufs replied on 15/07/2019 14:42

Posted on 15/07/2019 14:34 by richardandros

I have also found that the roof lining doesn't stop condensation - but what it does do is stop it dripping on your head or anything else in the awning!

The original ones were a nylon material and, in my opinion, better than the current cotton fabric, in that any condensation ran off the edge of the lining near the windows and thereby avoided wetting everything. The current cotton one just tends to absorb it.

I think ours was considerably more than £50 - more like £75 and therefore expensive. It does make the awning look 'finished off', though.

Posted on 15/07/2019 14:42

again tks, you can get them on the web for approx £50, but i think a quick swish over with a towel will suffice

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook