Maxview Small Suction Satellite Dish

DavidKlyne replied on 13/06/2022 20:32

Posted on 13/06/2022 20:32

I wonder if any of you use, or have used, one of these satellite dishes which sucker onto the side of a vehicle rather than being freestanding. https://maxview.co.uk/product/portable-satellite-dish-for-motorhome/ We do have a Vision Plus directional aerial on the van but often we get signal breakup, especially in the evening. To hopefully help remedy this issue I have just installed a new amplifier with a built in signal strength finder. 

The purpose of asking about the dish is that it is fairly compact and could be used instead the aerial. It would only be used in the UK and my Avtex TV has a built in satellite receiver. Just wonder how practical they are? Don't really want to get involved with free standing dishes. Also don't want to go down the route of auto dishes on the roof.

David

Simon100 replied on 13/06/2022 21:18

Posted on 13/06/2022 21:18

I've looked at them in the past and wondered if they might be susceptible to blind spots depending on which way the caravan was pointing, given that it needs to adhere to the sides or rear. That might not be an issue with a motor home especially as you have more ability to manoeuvre within the pitch.

Vulcan replied on 13/06/2022 22:20

Posted on 13/06/2022 20:32 by DavidKlyne

I wonder if any of you use, or have used, one of these satellite dishes which sucker onto the side of a vehicle rather than being freestanding. https://maxview.co.uk/product/portable-satellite-dish-for-motorhome/ We do have a Vision Plus directional aerial on the van but often we get signal breakup, especially in the evening. To hopefully help remedy this issue I have just installed a new amplifier with a built in signal strength finder. 

The purpose of asking about the dish is that it is fairly compact and could be used instead the aerial. It would only be used in the UK and my Avtex TV has a built in satellite receiver. Just wonder how practical they are? Don't really want to get involved with free standing dishes. Also don't want to go down the route of auto dishes on the roof.

David

Posted on 13/06/2022 22:20

You need a line of sight to the satellite completely free from obstruction and for that reason I would go for a free standing dish which will give you much more leeway.

richardandros replied on 14/06/2022 05:36

Posted on 14/06/2022 05:36

I've just had a look at the link David and my first reaction is - would it dent the side of the caravan / motorhome? I am assuming the suction pads have to be fairly powerful and with our van being aluminium clad, I would be concerned that it could cause a dent when the pressure is applied.

I don't use our satellite dish very often - much like your intended use I suppose. I think it's an Avtex flat dish which is stored in it's own suitcase together with the tripod and when I have used it, it has needed carefully locating to get a signal between the inevitable trees that usually surround caravan sites. You wouldn't be able to do that as easily with your suggested one.

The other advantage is that mine has "Easyfind" technology which your Avtex TV will have and it makes locating the satellite much easier.

Just a couple of thoughts.

peedee replied on 14/06/2022 07:54

Posted on 14/06/2022 07:54

i have never been very keen on suction mounted aerials.  Although I have not had a satellite one,. my experience with other types of suction mounts has not been good. Their adherence has been poor and very much depends on the state of the surface to which you are trying to attach them. Looking at the price, I think you can do better by buying a kit (or buying the separate items yourself) which uses a stand.

peedee

KeefySher replied on 14/06/2022 08:33

Posted on 14/06/2022 08:33

Back in the days when we had a MH, used the suction cup mount by applying to vehicle glass windows, ie windscreen / cab doors and/or bonnet. Also on the conservatory windows at home to watch telly in the garden. The satellite kit came in a plastic case with all the components in their secure place. Worth wiping the surface clean before applying the suction.

DavidKlyne replied on 14/06/2022 09:33

Posted on 14/06/2022 09:33

Thanks for the comments. Just an aside, I installed the new Vision Plus amplifier yesterday. Could only get a red light which suggest poor or no signal. Continued setting up rooftop aerial and TV. Use direction of house aerials which meant at the low level of the motorhome it was facing my neighbours wall! Tune TV and hey presto perfect picture including HD channels and no breakup. Would you Adam and Eve itsmile 

Re a few of the questions on the suction dish. I have previously used an Avtex STH200 aerial which suckers to the side of the motorhome and that has proved pretty stable in terms of staying on the side of the motorhome, which by the way, has fibreglass side and roof panels so should be robust enough. The attraction of the Maxview dish is that it is very compact and I don't need a tripod and its small enough to stow away if travelling or not in use. I was thinking of it more of it as an insurance against not getting  good reception on the rook aerial. Looking at some of the reviews it seems that being so close to the motorhome walls might restrict we vertical adjustment although this far north that shouldn't be a problem. We only intend to use it in the UK.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook