Caravan Club Insurance Discounts & Storage Issues

vannersRus replied on 16/01/2022 11:21

Posted on 16/01/2022 11:21

Judging by the listed comments it seems that storage is a major concern to club members.

My current experience is relevant to this discussion. We have been CC members since 1986 and have stored at My Caravan Space for about 3 years when they took over the storage from the original owner. During 2021 a new "security" system was introduced which entailed entering a secure code each time the site was entered This is a CaSSOA site and I have taken advantage of the Club Insurance Offer of discount on my caravan insurance which saves me £40.48. The new security system failed and I was not allowed access. I was told I had caused the problem, but I had not accessed the system so could not have made any changes. If this sounds like the recent issues with The Post Office computer system, then it is. Having had this issue, we were resolved to move the van at the end of the year and on January 11th arrived on site to remove the van, knowing there would be a daily rate storage to pay. We worked this out to be £580/365 giving a daily rate of £1.58 x 11 with an amount to pay of £ 17.38 . The security gate personal advised me the van was not on the system. We were allowed to go to the van and found the brake off and it seemed that someone had attempted to move it. The brakes were hard on, so they could not and it took some time to release. I then contacted the storage head office and spoke to the owner who wanted £20 per day daily storage costs (£110) to release the van. This equates to £7,300 per year. This is an approved site which is recommended by our club. The £40.48 saving was wiped out completely several times. I spoke to CaSSOA who have a head office in Nottingham. "They are not concerned with the credibility of registered companies" , they only deal in their site security and offered this statement. "They said the last date they checked the security" was 01.01.2021, on this date the site was closed for holidays, they would not have been allowed in. Is my club aware of this exploitation? By offering a discount to members to use company with a flawed security system that really and does not bother who they work with. Knowing how important security is to club members it seems that our club, have taken the eye off the ball and the recommendation to members should be withheld immediately and members who thought they were paying the maximum for storing their van were not getting anywhere near that security level or the customer service they were expecting when it comes with the endorsement of The Caravan Club. In an age when we are able to change supplier of utilities it should be mandatory for our club to only recommend storage sites who have no Daily Rate extraction

vannersRus replied on 17/01/2022 19:07

Posted on 17/01/2022 19:07

That did not go so well !. Thanks for all your comments, kind regards 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook