Electricity usage when stored/off road

GAHewson replied on 03/04/2018 14:09

Posted on 03/04/2018 14:09

I have had my caravan outside my house for the winter and kept it plugged into my household electricity.

We have had a small electric oil radiator come on at night, otherwise nothing else.  I would not have thought this would have consumed much electricity yet I have seen my electric charges almost double? Surely this cannot be simply down to the caravan?  I've not used anything else of significance over the winter so I am under the impression that it can only be my caravan?  

If this is the case, how do other folks stop condensation and cold weather from ruining their caravans during the winter?

Has anyone else found this?  Does the caravan draw that much power when it isn't being used if you leave it plugged in to the mains?  How do you keep the battery charged for when you want to use the motor mover before you go on a trip?

I'd appreciate any advice or help as we are relatively new to caravaning and this is the first year we have had one or ever had one outside over winter.

Geoff

Tammygirl replied on 04/04/2018 18:53

Posted on 04/04/2018 18:53

Another one for no heating and we live in Scotland. Never heated a van in 35 years and don't think I ever would. As long as precautions are taken to the water system and to let air circulate inside the van everything should be fine. We do lift the cushions away from the sides of the van and open the overhead lockers. 

As to small oil filled radiators, we use 2 small ones 500 & 800w in our attic room on some nights in winter, yes it can increase your electricity bill dramatically and no we don't have them high just enough to keep the frost out when very cold. 

Lutz replied on 04/04/2018 19:29

Posted on 04/04/2018 19:29

Besides, I remove the battery when the caravan is stored over winter and keep it in the warmth of my cellar to charge, as necessary, before the first outing in the New Year.

Cornersteady replied on 05/04/2018 11:42

Posted on 05/04/2018 11:42

we never heat the van in storage, ever. I have one of those max/min thermometers and I always leave it out near the sink, and I've actually never had much below freezing over the winters (even this one) but summer temperatures often exceed 40C .

I always drain down the tank though and check the battery before a trip. But as we never leave it more than a month between trips it's always been OK.

I think rain getting in is more of a issue than cold? 

Cornersteady replied on 05/04/2018 11:46

Posted on 04/04/2018 19:29 by Lutz

Besides, I remove the battery when the caravan is stored over winter and keep it in the warmth of my cellar to charge, as necessary, before the first outing in the New Year.

Posted on 05/04/2018 11:46

you have a cellar? wow, repect! Wish I had one.

Actually my parent's house had a coal cellar, it was a great place to play when young and to transfer B&W film from camera to developing tank when older.

sorry OT

KeefySher replied on 06/04/2018 13:41

Posted on 06/04/2018 13:41

No longer leave the caravan plugged into the mains constantly after boiling the leisure battery tongue-out  Probably a controller issue as these caravan parts are not the best having had issues early on with poor solder joints in PCB on the main control panel tongue-out

Now rely on the solar panel to keep it topped up, with a 24 hour mains plugin before use primarily to cool the fridge ahead of a trip. We park the caravan on the drive with the SP on the south side. We have solar panels on the house that deliver 3x the electricity we use, so evidently in a good spot.

Leave the caravan blinds open about 4 inches at the top on each window.

We do use the caravan year round.

No damp or mustiness at all over the nearly 3 years we've had it and stored on the drive.

Once on a CAMC site we bang the electric heating up full to get the caravan up to temp, as we've paid for the electricity, so we'll use it fully tongue-out tongue-out

young thomas replied on 06/04/2018 17:14

Posted on 04/04/2018 18:48 by PhilnShaz

I left the motor home in storage for just over 4 weeks and the vehicle battery was too flat to start the engine. We have a solar panel which keeps the leisure battery charged to 13.5 Volts. I have noticed that the SP control unit has a second output for a vehicle battery.

Has any one got one of these wired to the vehicle battery?

The control unit website reports that the second output can be used for the vehicle battery, but it is a different type, the leisure battery is a Yuasa L36 AGM plus and the vehicle battery is a standard van starter battery, probably a normal sealed lead acid type.

Posted on 06/04/2018 17:14

i do get annoyed with manufacturers who fit a solar panel and then don't ensure that it keeps the vehicle battery (as well as the leisure battery) fully charged, to me it just smacks of cost cutting...

at the end of the day, if the Hab battery was flat but the vehicle battery charged, at least you could drive the van....

however, the remedy is fairly straightforward...either fit a connection from the 2nd solar panel regulator outlet to the vehicle battery (the charging ratio of the two can usually be configured to suit...) or you could fit a Battery Master which 'charges' the vehicle battery from the leisure battery...

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook