Implications of a Theft from a CASSOA Site

catherinef replied on 16/12/2017 13:16

Posted on 16/12/2017 13:16

What are the likely implications for a CASSOA rating where a storge site has had a caravan stolen?  Is it possible that their rating maybe affected?

DSB replied on 02/01/2018 00:31

Posted on 02/01/2018 00:31

We have a keyfob and an actual key for each of the three gates leading to our storeage facility, plus security TV.  Happy with that.

David 

SteveL replied on 02/01/2018 23:31

Posted on 21/12/2017 19:31 by dmiller555

May be not but I would not store my van in a compound protected by a keypad they are not secure. In my opinion. 

Posted on 02/01/2018 23:31

Any system is only any good if those using it, do so in a sensible manner. Our gold facility uses a fob. On one occasion as I was leaving, someone arriving  became quite annoyed / abusive that I would not leave the gate for him to enter until he showed me his fob. Presumably from his attitude he would have just waved someone in.

PhilnShaz replied on 05/04/2018 13:24

Posted on 02/01/2018 23:31 by SteveL

Any system is only any good if those using it, do so in a sensible manner. Our gold facility uses a fob. On one occasion as I was leaving, someone arriving  became quite annoyed / abusive that I would not leave the gate for him to enter until he showed me his fob. Presumably from his attitude he would have just waved someone in.

Posted on 05/04/2018 13:24

Quite right SteveL, the owner of our storage facility is most insistant that people make sure the gate is shut before they move off and I agree. You are not likely to know many of the people who store their vans there. I have had to wait for someone to leave before I could enter, whats an extra minute to ensure your van's security and that of everyone else?

Mitsi Fendt replied on 05/04/2018 15:27

Posted on 05/04/2018 15:27

Ironically the only time my caravan has suffered any criminal damage was on a CASSOA gold storage facility. I was not the only one about 40 caravans were broken into.  For the last six or so years it's stored on a smallholding where there is a bicycle type combination lock and the code is changed periodically. Never had any problems there. The main reason I changed facility was that where it is now is much nearer to home and it's about £100 per year less.  Caravan Club insurance gives £10 per discount for storing on CASSOA gold site. 

Kennine replied on 06/04/2018 12:25

Posted on 06/04/2018 12:25

A different view :- 

I'd never use a storage site for my van. I much prefer to keep it on the drive where I, and my neighbours can see what is going on and I can check the van every day.  I suppose I'm quite lucky as my drive holds a van plus three cars and we live in a relatively crime free area.  Another feature of keeping the van at home is that it's simple to connect it to the mains power outlet in the garage to keep the leisure battery topped up... I have never had any Caravan or Motorhome stolen or broken into.. 

Storage sites are just a magnet for criminals and robbers. It doesn't matter how much alleged security the company employs, a determined criminal will still succeed. 

That's my view, I don't expect everybody to agree, but that's what discussion forums are about.

K

dmiller555 replied on 06/04/2018 13:21

Posted on 06/04/2018 12:25 by Kennine

A different view :- 

I'd never use a storage site for my van. I much prefer to keep it on the drive where I, and my neighbours can see what is going on and I can check the van every day.  I suppose I'm quite lucky as my drive holds a van plus three cars and we live in a relatively crime free area.  Another feature of keeping the van at home is that it's simple to connect it to the mains power outlet in the garage to keep the leisure battery topped up... I have never had any Caravan or Motorhome stolen or broken into.. 

Storage sites are just a magnet for criminals and robbers. It doesn't matter how much alleged security the company employs, a determined criminal will still succeed. 

That's my view, I don't expect everybody to agree, but that's what discussion forums are about.

K

Posted on 06/04/2018 13:21

Since you have "never used s storage site for my van", how do you know that "storage sites are just a magnet for criminals and robbers"?

Steve Scott replied on 06/04/2018 15:50

Posted on 06/04/2018 15:50

Just found out that some vans were broke into during the week, on our Cassoa Gold storage site i don't believe that a van can be taken off the site unless there is some assistance from an owner, gate entry is by fingerprint recognition on two gates entry and exit. That doesn't stop Knuckle Draggers from scaling walls or fences then sculking in the shadows out of view of the cameras. I think about 10 vans got visited and what did they take? BATTERIES!!! it's the damage they cause and expense to repair the battery box lock.

Steve

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook