Storage fees

brian7483 replied on 18/11/2021 16:01

Posted on 18/11/2021 16:01

Hello everyone,

Just received my renewal notice for caravan storage at Durham Grange CAMC site. Last years price £450. This years price £500. That is an increase of 11% which is way above the price of expected inflation. WOW! wasn't expecting that. I thought about £20 increase. The sad thing is I will probably have to pay it because with all the newbies, this year and last year, storage sites are at a premium. Talk about taking advantage!

SteveL replied on 16/01/2022 12:17

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:01 by Cornersteady

A&J for under cover storage that is very good indeed! I'd even pay the higher price you posted.

I am slightly surprised, puzzled is a better word, that people buy a caravan and then wonder about storage and the associated costs? The first thought while wondering about buying one is surely where will we keep it?

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:17

I am slightly surprised, puzzled is a better word, that people buy a caravan and then wonder about storage and the associated costs? The first thought while wondering about buying one is surely where will we keep it?

I agree, we were paying for a storage space for over a month before we obtained our van. It was either that or loose it as they were in high demand.

Cornersteady replied on 16/01/2022 12:17

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:08 by

Its not unknown for innocent new owners to get "bolshie" neighbors calling round after they have first brought the van home and parked it on the drive

Been discussed at length on here over the years and although the chances of being legally forced to move it are slim many don't want the unpleasantness that would follow conversations that end in  "Foxtrot Oskar"

Posted on 16/01/2022 12:17

Yes a very good point and one that could be easily excused as opposed to not looking at costs, after all one thinks of one's 'home and land' as being free to do as one wants. 

cyberyacht replied on 17/01/2022 10:47

Posted on 17/01/2022 10:47

I'm not up to speed with the current situation, but back in my yachting days I often wondered about all those who succumbed to the glamour of boat shows without thinking about where they would moor any purchase. Perhaps a not dissimilar scenario to new vanners where at least there's a possibility of putting it on the drive.

allanandjean replied on 17/01/2022 11:19

Posted on 17/01/2022 11:19

When we got our first van is was kept at home but a new heavier van put an end to that however, where we live is not somewhere you would choose to take a van, three miles of single track access roads being just one issue, and if buying now would be wondering about storage.

I can see Davids point and we know three people who have had 'issues' due to storing their van/MH at 'home'.

One spent a large sum creating access and hard standing, one faced a constant battle as he used a communal area, and one got fed up with the aggro and used storage.

It brings to mind the issue that EV charging will be for the many that do not have parking at home.

vbfg replied on 17/01/2022 14:39

Posted on 17/01/2022 10:47 by cyberyacht

I'm not up to speed with the current situation, but back in my yachting days I often wondered about all those who succumbed to the glamour of boat shows without thinking about where they would moor any purchase. Perhaps a not dissimilar scenario to new vanners where at least there's a possibility of putting it on the drive.

Posted on 17/01/2022 14:39

You make a very valid point. I have had a share in a narrowboat for 19 years and when I bought my share, it was very difficult to find a home mooring for many boaters.  Since then, numerous new marinas have been built and the problem is no longer an issue, although mooring fees don't seem to have gone down! I have, however,  met people who have bought boats when they have never even been on one before and some of them have soon realised that it is not for them and I envisage that may apply to some motorhomers and caravanners as well, especially since the advent of Covid.  In respect of parking a van on the drive, there may be covenants in a property's deeds which disallow the parking of M/Hs or CVs.which they may not have been aware of.

cyberyacht replied on 18/01/2022 09:09

Posted on 18/01/2022 09:09

Covenants are usually only enforceable by the builders who seldom have interest in enforcement once the development is completed and sold. Uppity neighbours often think they can utilise it but, particularly after the passage of time, find that it is basically meaningless. Redress is perhaps only available to them if it can be shown to be to their detriment, i.e. loss of light, access etc.

JVB66 replied on 18/01/2022 09:38

Posted on 18/01/2022 09:09 by cyberyacht

Covenants are usually only enforceable by the builders who seldom have interest in enforcement once the development is completed and sold. Uppity neighbours often think they can utilise it but, particularly after the passage of time, find that it is basically meaningless. Redress is perhaps only available to them if it can be shown to be to their detriment, i.e. loss of light, access etc.

Posted on 18/01/2022 09:38

Our local LA will not allow c/vans on the front of houses and even those with larger motorcaravans have been told to store them elsewhere unless they can prove it is needed frequently 

They have a purge ,at times,,it does not apply it seems to pvc  as there are many white vans on drives

SeasideBill replied on 18/01/2022 09:38

Posted on 18/01/2022 09:09 by cyberyacht

Posted on 18/01/2022 09:38

I’m not so sure about that CY, I think that’s a bit of an ‘urban myth’. Covenants are capable of being enforced by subsequent owners even though they were in no way involved with the original agreement. It’s generally not tested in law tho’ as a letter from the complainants solicitor is usually enough.

geoffeales replied on 02/06/2022 10:01

Posted on 02/06/2022 10:01

We had to forego having the van on the front drive when we retired to a flat in Gloucester. Shocked to read some of your fees, we pay £25 pcm for a secure lot on a farm about 5 miles from town. Before you all rush to the phone, the compound is full! We miss having the van outside, so handy for cleaning, odd jobs etc. The biggest drawback is loading prior to holidays, where check-listing and box-filling becomes slightly obsessive.  Main advantage is an empty drive doesn't advertise that we're away to the local villains!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook