Storage transport of bikes

MarkHall replied on 14/04/2018 15:35

Posted on 14/04/2018 15:35

Anyone tried this before ? Want a safe and secure method to transport a bike inside the caravan to avoid roof noise and drag. Most forums suggest laying flat with padding but concerned about movement. So just thought of recycling the existing roof rack attachment onto a couple of battons to make a stand. Will supliment with a couple of ties to each side securing to the front bunk slats.

Think it will work ?

replied on 14/04/2018 15:42

Posted on 14/04/2018 15:42

It has been done before with success. Hard bit is probably getting the bike through the door with some layouts

replied on 14/04/2018 18:28

Posted on 14/04/2018 18:28

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ocsid replied on 15/04/2018 20:42

Posted on 15/04/2018 20:42

If the bike has not already got a "quick-release" front wheel it might be worth changing the axle for one. Then the bike can be wheeled backwards into the van, barrow fashion, and secured onto a thick plywood beam using one of these type of fork clamps.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651.htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&mkwid=sjlJhcitN_dc|pcrid|43133749973|product|122187|&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8MvWBRC8ARIsAOFSVBWa1xtgHxWq6cXMByCxdg3FwwVTUsx-JUljBLYkEi5hR2RDgYkdZUkaAq6FEALw_wcB

The bike presents less damage risk if the pedals are removed, a few minutes job undoing and refitting. The "bars" can also be turned inline quite easily.

I used 19 mm ply about 8" wide its length cut to neatly fit between the furniture. Wheeling the bike in backwards means you don't need to squeeze by the bike to lock the clamp(s).

I made my own clamps as I liked doing bits of engineering and back then had the facilities.

cyberyacht replied on 16/04/2018 08:18

Posted on 16/04/2018 08:18

I'm wondering about fitting a rack on the back of the MH to take the bikes to free up space in the garage. However the access to the garage is at the back of the van. Is there a make of bike rack that swivels down that would allow access to the garage?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook