18 months outside UK

Jez 1966 replied on 22/05/2022 13:48

Posted on 22/05/2022 13:48

We're at the early stages of planning a Canada & USA tour with motorhome & car on trailer.

Visa's mean this could be outside UK for upto 18 months. (6 months Canada & 12 months USA)

Temporary import means we can take vehicles in ok.

My question is regarding MOT/TAX and insurance etc requirements for vehicles.

I've search extensively online but I can't find advise or was to ask DVLA.

Anyone with knowledge of what is required for a vehicle >3 years old outside UK of more than a year?

Tax/MOT-local equivalent/Insurance local-home country?

Lutz replied on 06/06/2022 13:38

Posted on 06/06/2022 09:58 by NutsyH

Note also that your house insurance will probably be invalidated by that length of unoccupancy. 

Posted on 06/06/2022 13:38

I would have thought that house vacancy is unlikely to be an issue if you are going to be away for so long. Either you will have sold up or rented the house out for the period of absence. I don't think many people would contemplate leaving their house unoccupied for 18 months or more.

ScreenNameD685707A30 replied on 15/02/2024 15:56

Posted on 15/02/2024 15:56

Hi does anybody in this string know of a company/broker who can provide motorhome insurance for a UK registered motorhome, when its in Canada and the USA.

Thanks in advance 

eurortraveller replied on 16/02/2024 15:16

Posted on 15/02/2024 15:56 by ScreenNameD685707A30

Hi does anybody in this string know of a company/broker who can provide motorhome insurance for a UK registered motorhome, when its in Canada and the USA.

Thanks in advance 

Posted on 16/02/2024 15:16

Have you read all the blogs and travel reports on line from others shipping motorhomes across the Atlantic who have gone before you ?  They often explain the insurances and travel arrangements they used.

Oneputt replied on 16/02/2024 16:51

Posted on 16/02/2024 16:51

Have a look at Tread the Globe on u tube, they took their van to US and Canada and it wasn’t as straight forward as you may believe

ScreenNameD685707A30 replied on 16/02/2024 19:45

Posted on 16/02/2024 19:45

Yes I have unfortuantely, and things have changed a little over the last 12 months. Thum insurance who the majority of people have used in the past have recently changed their policy. At the moment they aren't able to insure any vehicles in Canada. The will insure our motorhome when it's in the US, but we wish to travel in both countries. We have found one other insurer, but they won't insure against any 3rd parties claims who might be involved in the same accident. We would need 2 different insurances provided by different comapnies, they're are not cheap individually or together and could lead to all manner of issues if we ever had to claim. So as it stands we haven't found 1 company that will insure us. (I have asked Clements today, but haven't as yet had a reply). I have also already had an email conversation wth Marianne from Tread the globe, they used Thum too. 

Thum are hoping to be able to cover vehicles in Canada at some point in the future, bust as of today, it isn't an option.

Please keep forwarding your suggestions.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook