Another long tow with an EV

ChocolateTrees replied on 23/07/2022 21:19

Posted on 23/07/2022 21:19

Great journey yesterday from South Northamptonshire to the Lake District, towing our 1550kg Unicorn Vigo, with our Polestar 2 LRDM. It’s our 7th or 8th holiday towing with the Polestar so are getting the hang of it.
Two stops, the first after 110 miles in Crew at an Instavolt. Insta was on a go slow at only 80kW max (49 mins)
Second stop 85 miles later at the South lakes Porsche experience center. Great 350kW charger peaked at 136kW for me (battery at 26%). Stopped for just 25mins. Then on to Borrowdale. The whole journey used 146kWh over 260 miles giving a potential range of 132 miles on a single charge. The first leg was even better (much flatter) with a potential range or 140miles towing.
In all just 75 mins of charging on a 7:25 min journey, but we had some long delays on the M6 (around 50 mins). Car was superb…
Total electricity cost, about £61, with about 40 solo miles left over at the end.

We did the same journey last October. I have learned 4 key things since then.
1) ultra-rapid chargers make a huge difference. I would love an EV6 as a tow car for that reason (though I am not sure I would give up the Polestar just for that).
2) there are a LOT more ultra-rapid chargers than just 8 months ago.
3) Gridserve MSA that replaced the Electric Highway chargers are NOT ultra-rapid, even though they are advertised as 120kW.
4) Plan to use as much of your charge as possible each time to maximise charge rate and minimise charge time. As the number of Ultra-rapid chargers grows, this gets easier.

The infrastructure is definitely not as bad either the press make out or people think it is, but it still has a long way to go!

ChocolateTrees replied on 04/10/2022 11:51

Posted on 03/10/2022 17:48 by StuartL

I note that there is no mention in the above discussion of the initial cost of the vehicle which will be well beyond the means of many. How long  and over what mileage before these supposed fuel savings take to cover the extra cost of the vehicle, not forgetting  extra servicing costs. I note that in one case 1 hour is added to a 7 hour trip, an increase of 14% in journey time. Further, with almost every charging point it would appear to be necessary to unhitch the 'van and leave it somewhere in order to access  the charger and this assumes that you are able to even access the car park in which it is often located. 

It is for all these reasons that I continue to drive a tow car which covers 300 miles before I even  start to think about filling up, a process which adds 5-10 minutes to my trip!

Posted on 04/10/2022 11:51

Have a look at page 12 of the Tow Car of the Year supplement in the October club magazine. 

Bottom left - There are two Hyundai's in the 1500kg - 1700Kg bracket. One is £47,150 and one is £48,760. The electric one is cheaper...

Now - admittedly I cherry picked that particular pair from the line up, but that Ioniq 5 is only £2k more new than the Skoda Superb on the previous page. 

The simple fact is that all cars are expensive now, and yes EV's are more expensive in general, but in many cases, they will be cheaper to run over the course of their life. 

Over the last 16 months I have done about 20,000 miles in my EV - about 2000 towing. I think its cost about £1450 in electricity costs mixed roughly 1/4 public and 3/4 home. My previous diesel would have cost about £3,900 (at 160p a litre) for the same distance and towing mix. 

If you can charge at home, can put up with the faff of charging while towing, and can work with the towed weight, then an EV can probably be cheaper today - even without factoring in the residual value for the car - which right now is higher for EVs. 

But each to their own. If you don't fancy one, or it does not suit your purpose - don't get one. 

EmilysDad replied on 04/10/2022 12:24

Posted on 04/10/2022 12:24

As & when we replace EmilysMum's car, we might very well consider an EV .... she drives very few miles a year, but there's no reason to replace her current car just to buy an EV. Charging it at home wouldn't be a problem. But I couldn't justify the cost of an EV that was capable of towing our caravan ..... I don't buy new cars, I let someone else take the initial depreciation.

I like the idea of EVs but don't think they are the complete answer to motoring/transport.

brue replied on 04/10/2022 19:49

Posted on 04/10/2022 10:47 by JVB66

I was just quoting what our neibough on site was telling us about his sons Merc company car so it was not my figure and how much is a Merc EV? 

He also said it was very heavy kerbweight so to give any range the batt is very bigsurprised

Ps our Kia Sportage 2ltr auto diesel was £230 on its last service with mot thrown in , at local independent in the village cool

Posted on 04/10/2022 19:49

The batteries do make EVs heavy, in fact that's why they are heavy but if like ours the chassis is aluminium and the body is carbon fibre you have a circa 95% recyclable car that isn't going to fall apart for a v long-time. Some joints will go, bits of rubber will wear out etc but as there is no engine there's no weight from that. A big group of batteries is needed to propel the car for a maximum distance, greatly improving too since the first EVs emerged.

As said it's a choice people can now make. smile

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook