BMW X5 30D 2019

winni1974 replied on 23/10/2022 09:51

Posted on 23/10/2022 09:51

So I changed my old BMW 5 series touring 20d for a BMW X5 30D my thinking here was my 5 series was a great tow car and very stable however I have had some back issues so wanted an suv for easier access and having had a discovery 4 30 sdv6 which was excellent I thought this size car would be perfect and indeed the X5 is much better to access and the higher seating position is also great however it’s not as good at towing as my old 5 series don’t get me wrong it’s got way more power but it doesn’t feel as stable it’s quite wallow especially on country roads to the point I needed to select sports mode to make it more stable even solo it feels wallow in normal mode nothing like the 5 series and nothing like my old discovery 4 so I am now thinking have I made a mistake?

Would love to hear other X5 owners views 

EmilysDad replied on 23/10/2022 10:48

Posted on 23/10/2022 10:48

I don't have a X5 but I do have a Merc ML - similar type vehicle. I've almost always had big 3 box saloons like your 5 Series ..... Carlton, Senators & an Omega. I think you're just noticing the difference between a tall ie higher centre of gravity, SUV compared with a saloon. I guess your X5 is on air suspension as you have a sports option so it'll be set up to give max comfort rather than being able to go round corners. The fact it's a X5 is just coincidence .... my ML, also on air, isn't as stable in corners either. I think you'll just get used to it.

The only Land Rover I've driven is a Series II ..... no comparison to a modern vehicle at all!๐Ÿ™„ 

replied on 23/10/2022 16:14

Posted on 23/10/2022 16:14

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 23/10/2022 17:02

Posted on 23/10/2022 16:14 by

The early Landy I had for a while did not so much wallow as wander.  The steering had approximately a half turn of "free" movement.  Keeping to a straight line was an art form ๐Ÿคฃ; even so it was great fun in the rough.      

Posted on 23/10/2022 17:02

That's exactly like the Landy I drove .... and you had to start braking 1/2 mile before you wanted to stop - I suppose twin leading shoes were at the fore front of technology once upon a time. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜‚

winni1974 replied on 23/10/2022 19:17

Posted on 23/10/2022 10:48 by EmilysDad

I don't have a X5 but I do have a Merc ML - similar type vehicle. I've almost always had big 3 box saloons like your 5 Series ..... Carlton, Senators & an Omega. I think you're just noticing the difference between a tall ie higher centre of gravity, SUV compared with a saloon. I guess your X5 is on air suspension as you have a sports option so it'll be set up to give max comfort rather than being able to go round corners. The fact it's a X5 is just coincidence .... my ML, also on air, isn't as stable in corners either. I think you'll just get used to it.

The only Land Rover I've driven is a Series II ..... no comparison to a modern vehicle at all!๐Ÿ™„ 

Posted on 23/10/2022 19:17

I am hoping so as I really do like my X5 and i did a lot of homework before i decide to buy one however at the top of my list was the newest discovery on a 2019 plate i call it a disco 5 but i know they dropped the numbers after the disco 4 which is the one i had however i did have some problems with the disco which were covered under warranty but it made me think twice about buying another one especially without manufacture warranty which is way i bought the X5 as it came with two years manufactures warranty.

The car is fine both solo and towing on any motorway its just when you join B roads especially country roads then it feels like you are on a small bought on the sea and only selecting sports mode makes things better but then it holds the gears longer so i end up using the paddles to shift up a gear.

EmilysDad replied on 23/10/2022 20:56

Posted on 23/10/2022 19:17 by winni1974

I am hoping so as I really do like my X5 and i did a lot of homework before i decide to buy one however at the top of my list was the newest discovery on a 2019 plate i call it a disco 5 but i know they dropped the numbers after the disco 4 which is the one i had however i did have some problems with the disco which were covered under warranty but it made me think twice about buying another one especially without manufacture warranty which is way i bought the X5 as it came with two years manufactures warranty.

The car is fine both solo and towing on any motorway its just when you join B roads especially country roads then it feels like you are on a small bought on the sea and only selecting sports mode makes things better but then it holds the gears longer so i end up using the paddles to shift up a gear.

Posted on 23/10/2022 20:56

I'd rather the boaty ride of 'auto' that the jiggly ride when in 'sport' ....

not sure how you can have 'sport' and 2.2 tonne, 4x4 & SUV in the same sentence ๐Ÿ˜‚

Whittakerr replied on 24/10/2022 07:33

Posted on 24/10/2022 07:33

I bought a 2019 X5 from new having had an Audi A6 and before that a BMW 5 series. Like you I noticed the wallow you mentioned and spoke to the sales rep about it after a test drive. As EmilysDad has said, the sales rep said it was the difference from driving a comparatively low saloon to a high SUV. I soon got used to it and generally drive mine in comfort mode.

I think it's a great tow car and far better than the Audi I had which made anybody sat in the back seats seasick when towing. 

John Todd replied on 24/10/2022 08:59

Posted on 23/10/2022 09:51 by winni1974

So I changed my old BMW 5 series touring 20d for a BMW X5 30D my thinking here was my 5 series was a great tow car and very stable however I have had some back issues so wanted an suv for easier access and having had a discovery 4 30 sdv6 which was excellent I thought this size car would be perfect and indeed the X5 is much better to access and the higher seating position is also great however itโ€™s not as good at towing as my old 5 series donโ€™t get me wrong itโ€™s got way more power but it doesnโ€™t feel as stable itโ€™s quite wallow especially on country roads to the point I needed to select sports mode to make it more stable even solo it feels wallow in normal mode nothing like the 5 series and nothing like my old discovery 4 so I am now thinking have I made a mistake?

Would love to hear other X5 owners views 

Posted on 24/10/2022 08:59

I am now on my second BMW 530D touring and have found them to be great tow cars with excellent economy.

I have driven many vehicles through work including a variety of 4 wheel drives from Range Rover to basic Land Rover, and other makes if you want to go seriously off road then you need the basic Land rovers which are great.

Whilst the fancy luxury so called 4 wheel drive vehicles are very comfortable on the road don't try to hurry them into bends as they don't like that, whilst  they are slightly better on soft ground than conventional vehicles, they are dependant on tyre choice and the operator.

But if driven properly with a little planning on soft ground I have always found 2 wheel vehicles are very capable and cheaper to run.

EmilysDad replied on 24/10/2022 10:30

Posted on 24/10/2022 08:59 by John Todd

I am now on my second BMW 530D touring and have found them to be great tow cars with excellent economy.

I have driven many vehicles through work including a variety of 4 wheel drives from Range Rover to basic Land Rover, and other makes if you want to go seriously off road then you need the basic Land rovers which are great.

Whilst the fancy luxury so called 4 wheel drive vehicles are very comfortable on the road don't try to hurry them into bends as they don't like that, whilst  they are slightly better on soft ground than conventional vehicles, they are dependant on tyre choice and the operator.

But if driven properly with a little planning on soft ground I have always found 2 wheel vehicles are very capable and cheaper to run.

Posted on 24/10/2022 10:30

....  I have always found 2 wheel vehicles are very capable and cheaper to run.

But a bike would have difficulty towing a caravan ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‰

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook