Buying caravan in UK with EU licence and car

MedinaAndreea replied on 12/10/2023 11:09

Posted on 12/10/2023 11:09

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a caravan in the UK but then want to take it abroad and mainly use in the EU. I have an EU license and my car is registered in the EU as well.

What do I need to do that please? I have never bought a caravan and not sure what I need to be able to take it aboard.

I know in the UK we just transfer ownership to the new owner and get the same plates as the car, but I'm assuming that would be different with an EU car? I also know I need to register the caravan when wanting to leave the UK on the gov website.

Any help appreciated!!

DavidKlyne replied on 20/10/2023 16:30

Posted on 20/10/2023 16:30

To get it registered in your country of residence you will need a Certificate of Conformity from the manufacturer. This will be needed by the authorities that register the caravan as a vehicle, not something that is required in the UK. 

David

Rufs replied on 20/10/2023 16:30

Posted on 20/10/2023 16:30

There is no registration for caravans in the UK and no Ministry of Transport roadworthy check which i believe they have in Spain, so you can buy a caravan hitch up to your car and drive off, you can take it on the ferry or via the tunnel into mainland EU without any checks,all you need to do is ensure the caravan is roadworthy or you might have some problems with the police or your insurer.

"Check your policy before you head out on the road. Car insurance is a legal requirement, but insurance for a towed unit isn't mandatory. However, if you have an accident as a result of towing your caravan or trailer, it can be very costly if you're not insured."

Lutz replied on 20/10/2023 23:04

Posted on 20/10/2023 23:04

As David says, if the caravan was built after whole vehicle type approval came into effect in 2014 it will be a great help if you can get hold of a copy of the Certificate of Conformity issued by the manufacturer, but not normally passed on to the customer in the UK. If that is the case you would have to apply for it from the manufacturer giving details of the caravan's VIN number so that the right certificate can be issued.

As caravans aren't registered in the UK and the car's insurance abroad doesn't cover the caravan, you would have to register it temporarily.in the country where you live before picking it up. You probably won't be able to register it permanently without prior customs clearance so don't forget to declare it when entering your home country. You will also have to bring the number plate over with you.

Lutz replied on 21/10/2023 13:57

Posted on 21/10/2023 13:57

On second thoughts it would be easier if you are contemplating buying a new caravan to order it through a dealer on the Continent. Depending on what make you are thinking of getting there may already be a dealer handling it. I am on a campsite in Spain at the moment and there is a Dutchman on the pitch opposite with an Elddis that he bought in Holland. I believe Baileys are also sold in the Netherlands. Close to where I live in Germany there is a relatively large Sprite dealer. That would save you a lot of bother arranging shipment, customs clearance and you would be able to register it properly right away. Even if you don't live in the Netherlands or Germany it will be a lot easier to acquire a UK caravan that is already in an EU country.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook