Ceramic Paint Treatments

JohnM20 replied on 14/09/2023 08:02

Posted on 14/09/2023 08:02

Ceramic paint treatments seem to be the 'in' thing at the moment. I have recently changed my car and the salesman at the dealership tried to sell me treatment at £250 which I declined. However, my new car is a few years old but has an incredible shine to it so I wondered whether the treatment had been taken up by the previous owner. The question is, is there any way of telling if a ceramic treatment has been applied or has the car just had a very careful previous owner using conventional polish.

From what I understand, these ceramic coatings need a refresh after only a few months and, apart from the initial cost there would be the ongoing ones. Far more expensive than conventional polish.

Any comments anyone?

DavidKlyne replied on 14/09/2023 09:46

Posted on 14/09/2023 09:46

My last two cars have had a ceramic paint treatment. My previous car I think it came as part of the deal and I have been pretty impressed with it. When I traded it in, it was nearly 7 years old and it seemed to have maintained the quality of the paintwork for all those years. Only very occasionally did I apply any further polish, usually a rinse over was enough. So when I ordered my new car I opted for the ceramic paint treatment again based of my previous experience. Only had the new car a few months so a bit early to comment. Just wish I had had the motorhome done when it was new!

As to how you tell, that could be difficult. However these applications usually come with a top up kit which might be in the boot of the car? 

David

RogerP1956 replied on 18/09/2023 16:54

Posted on 18/09/2023 16:54

I have been a fan of paint coatings for many years, since auto glym was a good product, and have ventured into the world of ceramic coatings in the last few years. Hard to know if a car has been treated, in a "time will tell" sort of way but most suppliers take the opportunity of advertising their product by way of stickers in the door shuts or on the windscreen.

My product of choice, applied by a local detailer, is the Gyeon range, this only requires a service refresh after two years.

I am not an avid car cleaner but I used Gyeon shampoo when washing and I found Ceramic detailer on the wheels made the brake dust easier to remove (never needed wheel cleaner spray). My last car survived two years of my ownership with no additional products and the paintwork condition when it was sold was indistinguishable from when it was first treated.

My new Tiguan is fresh out of the detailing booth and I will be happy if the treatment performs as well.

ClubMember5CA0D9FB84 replied on 12/02/2024 09:51

Posted on 12/02/2024 09:51

My new car came with ceramic coating from the dealership.

I must say its absolutely fantastic and makes  washing the car so easy.

I am now thinking of applying a ceramic coating to the caravan we bought last year

Anybody have any recommendations for DIY ceramic coating please?

mickysf replied on 13/02/2024 21:00

Posted on 13/02/2024 21:00

Nothing particularly new. Back in the 1970s when working in the Motor Industry I recall Ziebart products, a company selling protection coatings for new car paintwork and underbodies. Both applications were relatively expensive and, in my experience, had limited value. British cars of that period still rusted away albeit slightly less quickly in certain parts of the chassis.. Today’s paintwork products are really not that much better, not quite snake oil, but expensive in my opinion. There are however after purchase owner applied detailing products today which with a tiny bit of regular hard work and technique will be cheaper and just as effective in the long run. They are also a little more environmentally friendly compared with yesteryear’s, and today’s from new dealership applied coatings.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook