confused with what my car will tow

dave1973 replied on 19/08/2023 12:21

Posted on 19/08/2023 12:21

hi

after some advice as  totaly  baffled by all the caravan car matching sites

my caravan is a compass rallye 524   with plate details  are  mtplm   1550kg   miro   1350  

i  have a zafira 2008   1.9 cdti    120bhp    which i thought be great for towing     whats confusing is  people are saying mass towing weight   is what to go on not kerb weight  

the logbook says    max permissable mass  is  2195   mass in service  1613    so i thought  if caravan is under   mass in service it would be fine    but further down logbook it says   technical permissable  maximum towable mass of trailer  is 1300

plate on  car says  2195kg  and 3570kg so took one from other  and 1375   

so anyone pont me in right direction    save me changing car

eribaMotters replied on 21/08/2023 20:03

Posted on 21/08/2023 17:31 by Lutz

One shouldn't get too tied up with a noseweight issue. Fact remains that whatever the noseweight is, the OP will not be able to make full use of the weight limits of both the car and the caravan at the same time.

Posted on 21/08/2023 20:03

Lutz, although the post did not start out about nose weight I mentioned this as another member had made comment on it.

Some members will not realise how important it is and those that do may well be unaware of the difference in readings between the jockey wheel and at the hitch. As such I thought it useful to post. 

I suspect your comment was a little light hearted and you do take the nose weight into consideration in your loading of a caravan. 

I'd hope we all know our tow bars are type approved with a max rating that must not be exceeded, just like our caravan and cars max weights.. 

Colin

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook