Cost of charging an EV

NutsyH replied on 14/09/2022 16:02

Posted on 14/09/2022 16:02

I'll just throw this in for a bit of fun.

Per the Sunday Times motoring correspondent last Sunday, it is now more expensive to charge an EV at a "fast" public charging point (if you can find one that's working) mile for mile than it is to use diesel. Speculating that if HMG wish to pursue this nonsense of 2030, they will have to come up with some sort of help for EV users.

Its OK for those with home chargers (providing you don't drive far from home), or those using overnight trickle chargers as fitted to lamp posts somewhere in the UK (probably London - haven't seen any around here).

Fact also quoted: 31 million ICE cars currently on the road, 510,000 ev's. VW group (incl Audi and Porsche) are spending big bucks on developing engines running on bio fuels - as per F1 from 2026. Audi are signing up to F1 with a comment that they see bio fuels as the way forward for the masses. I can't help thinking that Carrie Johnson has jumped in far too quickly with the EV idea, hopefully the new Government will see sense and extend the deadline to a more realistic target.

Randomcamper replied on 25/09/2022 16:35

Posted on 16/09/2022 08:12 by Tinwheeler

For the record, Nutsy, I chose to buy an EV for various reasons because it suits me and my lifestyle. I didn't get it particularly for 'green' reasons and I received not a single penny from the Govt/tax payers either towards its purchase or the installation of the charger.

You seem to now be drifting well away from the cost of charging EVs and into a political discussion.

Posted on 25/09/2022 16:35

It's a shame you missed out on the grants TW.....

After driving EV pool cars in work and realising how much more pleasant they were to drive than an ICE, I ordered an EV last November from the VW group and collected it two weeks ago.

I got the government grant for the car, the government grant for the home charger, pay no road tax, currently get free charging at work, but if/when I have to charge at home I will use Economy 7 night rate with only 5% VAT.

I find that letting the taxpayer fund a good slice of my motoring costs has made it even more pleasurable.....

innocentinnocenttongue-outtongue-out

Tinwheeler replied on 25/09/2022 16:57

Posted on 25/09/2022 16:35 by Randomcamper

It's a shame you missed out on the grants TW.....

After driving EV pool cars in work and realising how much more pleasant they were to drive than an ICE, I ordered an EV last November from the VW group and collected it two weeks ago.

I got the government grant for the car, the government grant for the home charger, pay no road tax, currently get free charging at work, but if/when I have to charge at home I will use Economy 7 night rate with only 5% VAT.

I find that letting the taxpayer fund a good slice of my motoring costs has made it even more pleasurable.....

innocentinnocenttongue-outtongue-out

Posted on 25/09/2022 16:57

The car we bought was outside the scope of the grant after they lowered the upper price limit and the charger grant was in its final days. No matter. ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ

I'm lucky enough not to go to work any more and not even the promise of free charging would tempt me back.๐Ÿ˜›

Luckily, we're on a fixed rate lekky deal at home until the end of next year so it’s not costing much to charge. About £13 for 170 miles at the last check. Once the fixed deal ends, I think lekky will probably be free for all the way things are going๐Ÿ˜„

happycamper1980 replied on 29/06/2023 11:32

Posted on 29/06/2023 11:32

Public charging is becoming very expensive. 0.69KWh and similar.

Not so bad if you can do it at home, particularly if you lock into a good overnight EV tariff.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook