Fuel Economy

Hepo replied on 24/04/2023 11:00

Posted on 24/04/2023 11:00

Hi all. We all know that our fuel economy is drastically reduced when we are towing our caravan. I have a 20 year old swift, and tow with a 2.0l Astra tdci Sports Tourer, and most of the time get 53-58mpg. When towing I get around 37 on a good run.

But it occurred to me that if I fitted a wide roof box on the Astra (I have now bought a S/H one) will it improve the aerodynamics, and help the air to flow to more easily avoid the relatively flat front of the van. Will try it in two weeks time as we travel to Damage Barton, North Devon.

Any comments?

David. 

Hepo replied on 29/04/2023 10:26

Posted on 29/04/2023 10:26

Seems one of my posts that clarified that, has gone missing..

Yes, it was 2hrs for the journey not 1hr! Sorry about that'. And the picture was taken while stationary. That's what I meant by 'safe to do so'. Guess we all digressed a bit, but all I was trying to say originally was that if you change gear at the right rpm, avoid slowing down/speeding up, avoid unnecessary overtaking etc., you will get the best mpg returns. That's all going to all depend on traffic, as we know. That's mostly why the previously mentioned journey from Bedford to home at 2.00am, could be done so quickly. I have been driving for 50 years and working on and repairing cars for the same period (still do) also with an engineering background and it all helps, to a degree, to understand how to get the best out of a vehicle, I think.

David

Hepo replied on 29/04/2023 10:37

Posted on 29/04/2023 10:37

Totally agree with comments regard not using roof box ordinarily. I have a friend, and also see others driving around with boxes or bike/canoe racks on the roof. Particularly with the cost of fuel and cost of living constantly increasing, it doesn't seem a wise thing to do. My 'roof box' question is very much a try and see thing, and it was only £20 S/H. Probably have to use it whether it helps or not, when we take our grandchildren away with us.

Regards to all. David.

brue replied on 29/04/2023 14:31

Posted on 28/04/2023 10:06 by Hepo

Actually I meant to ask. Re. my trip to Damage Barton, North Devon next Saturday (Coronation Day!!). I'm thinking the best route from any point on the M5 is to leave at the Tiverton junction (27) and use the A361? It seems the easier route for caravans. Any advice gratefully received.

David. 

Posted on 29/04/2023 14:31

Yes it is the best route but you'll probably find quite a slow section getting towards Barnstaple, single file traffic due to ongoing works on the N Devon Links road. Enjoy your stay, nice place to visit! smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook