Hyundai i800

justgoogleit replied on 11/12/2018 05:37

Posted on 11/12/2018 05:37

Hello folks, just after the benefits of a little collective wisdom. Wondering what people think of an i800 as a tow vehicle? Specifically, whether or not it has enough power? Kerbweight of 2238kgs pulling a Coachman 580 (MIRO 1346kgs). Vehicle has 134bhp and 253Nm torque. We have three kids so I'm guessing a total of somewhere between 600-750kgs cargo (including bodyweight!).

justgoogleit replied on 14/12/2018 00:47

Posted on 14/12/2018 00:47

Thanks everyone. I currently have a Galaxy which does an admirable job, however we have recently got a dog and so would now need to use one of the third row seats (can't expect somebody to sit with a dog on their knee all the way to France!). So that really cuts down on boot space. Couple that with the fact that my wife does not appear to understand the Oxford English Dictionary definition of the phrase 'travelling light' and you can see my dilemma......

Cornersteady replied on 14/12/2018 17:54

Posted on 14/12/2018 00:47 by justgoogleit

Thanks everyone. I currently have a Galaxy which does an admirable job, however we have recently got a dog and so would now need to use one of the third row seats (can't expect somebody to sit with a dog on their knee all the way to France!). So that really cuts down on boot space. Couple that with the fact that my wife does not appear to understand the Oxford English Dictionary definition of the phrase 'travelling light' and you can see my dilemma......

Posted on 14/12/2018 17:54

we had an Alhambra and before our Sorrento and now the third row on the Sorento fold completely flat and gives you a very large space in the boot which you could add a tough plastic liner for your dog, unless you want your dog to actually sit on the seats?

justgoogleit replied on 15/12/2018 09:12

Posted on 15/12/2018 09:12

We used to have a sorento and even with the third row down we  struggled for space.problem is that the dog crate in the boot cuts down boot space even further for other stuff. I think I've settled on the idea of the 168bhp auto i800. Thanks everyone.

Cornersteady replied on 15/12/2018 11:51

Posted on 15/12/2018 09:12 by justgoogleit

We used to have a sorento and even with the third row down we  struggled for space.problem is that the dog crate in the boot cuts down boot space even further for other stuff. I think I've settled on the idea of the 168bhp auto i800. Thanks everyone.

Posted on 15/12/2018 11:51

Thanks for replying. It does look a good car and it's got the 5 year warranty. Our old Getz which is now 11 year old with over 120,000 miles is now second daughter's car 

Cornersteady replied on 16/12/2018 17:44

Posted on 15/12/2018 12:32 by cyberyacht

Good little car the Getz. OH's was over 12 years old and still going strong when we swapped for an i20 as she wanted four doors and aircon.

Posted on 16/12/2018 17:44

yes indeed, only two faults and both 'internal' one was the lights stalk failed with the lights stuck on full beam or off (we were popular) and the other was the fan rheostat. Both covered under warranty

Phishing replied on 23/12/2018 11:53

Posted on 23/12/2018 11:53

I looked at these not long ago and all research says it makes a really good tug. One note of caution though I wanted an auto and the auto has much reduced towing weight. Auto is quotes as max towing weight as 1500kg, the manual is 2300kg which indicates that the auto is not a strong box. The manual makes a great tug. Given the weight the performance will be steady but certainly should be up to the job.

justgoogleit replied on 26/01/2019 21:57

Posted on 26/01/2019 21:57

Hello again folks. I’m still pondering on my dilemma. As I’ve previously said i’ve Kind of settled on the idea of the auto. My one concern is as already stated the lower towing limit of 1500kg. I’ve been rummaging around the forums and read somewhere that when calculating how much you are towing you should discount the nose weight. The advice being that the noseweight should instead be considered as weight in the vehicle. So in my case, I reckon that my van will (including payload) weigh about 1450kgs (as much will be going in the vehicle as possible). So if I have a noseweight of 90kg then in effect the vehicle is pulling 1360kgs. Does this sound correct? And if so, do you consider that well enough inside the towing limit not too cause too much issue with the auto box?

As before, all wise counsel gratefully received.

Phishing replied on 31/01/2019 23:37

Posted on 31/01/2019 23:37

If your van is less than the 1500 as you say then you should have no issues. The manufacturers will have validated reliability to that weight. 

I don't think you are allowed to deduct the nosewheel weight, regardless of the nosewheel weight the mass of the van is the mass. The mass of the towed van includes the three weights added together i.e. the two wheels and the nosewheel. If it came to a warranty claim then I am fairly certain the MPTLM figure on the van vin plate would prevail as that is the mass you could have pulled. 

I only ruled it out as my van is way over the 1500kg.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook