Kodiaq TSI or TDI?

ScreenNameB8A4848190 replied on 07/01/2023 23:35

Posted on 07/01/2023 23:35

Hi folks, 

First post here so thought I'd start with a Hello! 

I've currently got a Kodiaq Edition 2.0 TDI 190 4x4 which is coming up for 4 years old, it's been a great car and has been really good for towing our touring caravan which has a MIRO of 1360kg and MTPLM of 1575kg

I've been looking at new Kodiaq and a local dealer has suggested that I don't do enough mileage to warrant a diesel (around 8-10k per annum) and has suggested getting a petrol version. I've always been of the thought that diesels have more torque so are better for towing. FYI... I probably tow once a month on average through. 

They've offered me a reasonable deal on a Kodiaq L&K 2.0 TSI 190 PS DSG 4x4 (I was orinally looking at a Kodiaq SE L Executive 2.0 TDI 200 PS DSG 4x4 but you know what dealers are like trying to get you to the next price point!). The torque difference is 320 Nm (on the TSI) to 400 Nm (on the TDI), I think my current one is 380 Nm from having a quick google. 

I guess my question is what do people think? Do you think I'd notice much of a difference? Would I regret not having a diesel? Has anyone got experience of towing with the 2.0 TSI 190 with a similiar weight van? 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

Joe

TimboC replied on 10/01/2023 17:50

Posted on 10/01/2023 17:50

I've gone for the TDI 200bhp. I can see the argument about the difference in fuel prices, but this won't be forever and as I see this as being the last ICE car that I will buy,it will need it to last me for quite a few years. For that reason alone, I think diesel is best as it will have 120k miles plus on the clock before its time to change, and the value of all ICE cars will have dropped through the floor by then. I've never towed with a petrol car, but I have had a petrol hybrid. Great car solo, but I had the feeling that it wouldn't have coped well with a caravan stuck on the back.

I don't think that EV's are really a practical option yet for most caravanners. I know some contributors will differ, but recent reports of 25 Tesla cars queuing to recharge on an M6 service area over Christmas show that the infrastructure isn't there yet. There is also the cost and convenience to consider.

I'm hopeful that hydrogen will be a realistic option in 10 years or so but until then, its diesel for me.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook