Mercedes Benz e300de Hybrid Estate as a towcar

countax replied on 29/01/2021 11:32

Posted on 29/01/2021 11:32

Hello.

Has anyone any experience of this model as a tow car even if you considered it and dismissed it? MB has a 1.2% interest rate on hence bringing monthly payments down considerably. The MB website technical details shows a 2,100kg braked towing limit.

Thank you.

flatcoat replied on 29/01/2021 12:39

Posted on 29/01/2021 12:39

I suspect it is too new, too rare and given the price not exactly a big seller with caravanners. However it is on my radar as a ‘used’ buy in a year or three. I currently have a Volvo diesel PHEV and it is a great towcar. I take it the Merc is a PHEV? Is it 4wd though? You might fare better on a Merc forum. 

countax replied on 29/01/2021 13:26

Posted on 29/01/2021 13:26

Hi.

The Mercedes is an e class estate powered by a 2 litre diesel engine plus battery capable of 29 miles or so hence its a plug in rechargeable. 

I know that a there few Mild hybrid diesels out there at this time such as the Volvo XC90 B5 but these cars use regenerative energy as a supplement. The Volvo, in particular, does not use battery energy to drive the car, rather the regenerative energy is used for things such as the turbo. 

flatcoat replied on 29/01/2021 14:56

Posted on 29/01/2021 14:56

My Volvo is definitely a plug-in diesel hybrid.... and with 4wd but unfortunately no longer produced. I cannot find any reference to the deal you mention on the Merc website. Do you have the link?

EmilysDad replied on 29/01/2021 18:09

Posted on 29/01/2021 11:32 by countax

Hello.

Has anyone any experience of this model as a tow car even if you considered it and dismissed it? MB has a 1.2% interest rate on hence bringing monthly payments down considerably. The MB website technical details shows a 2,100kg braked towing limit.

Thank you.

Posted on 29/01/2021 18:09

on a MB forum I use, one bloke had nothing but problems with his. As for being a tow car, as you say, it can only just get to the end of the street on battery and then the diseasal is lugging around a weighty battery. IMHO a token hybrid car to allow you to drive it in central London without charge 🤷‍♂️

And you'd have to check it's actually type approved for towing ..... 

THIS might be useful 

countax replied on 29/01/2021 22:30

Posted on 29/01/2021 14:56 by flatcoat

My Volvo is definitely a plug-in diesel hybrid.... and with 4wd but unfortunately no longer produced. I cannot find any reference to the deal you mention on the Merc website. Do you have the link?

Posted on 29/01/2021 22:30

Hi.

The deal is only visible after you have configured a 300de. I then clicked onto PCP however I believe HP is no different. The interest rate on hybrids is shown as 1.2 or 1.3. 

I started off by using google to search for "Configure my Mercedes Benz". The MB website, when approached from a different direction, can be very frustrating particularly when trying to build undecideda car. 

Hope this helps.

countax replied on 29/01/2021 22:43

Posted on 29/01/2021 18:09 by EmilysDad

on a MB forum I use, one bloke had nothing but problems with his. As for being a tow car, as you say, it can only just get to the end of the street on battery and then the diseasal is lugging around a weighty battery. IMHO a token hybrid car to allow you to drive it in central London without charge 🤷‍♂️

And you'd have to check it's actually type approved for towing ..... 

THIS might be useful 

Posted on 29/01/2021 22:43

Correct about the weight however most of my journeys are below 29 miles each day. Then there is the saving on the Road Fund Licence. If you drive much further on a daily basis then this model isn't for you.Clearly, you wouldn't use the battery with the caravan hitched up.

As for the tow bar, I'm checking with MB on two models including this one. In both cases the technical date shows a braked towing capacity of 2100kg. i.e both the e200d diesel and the hybrid e300de.

At present the challenge on the e200d is whether or not the plate on the car backs up the 2100kg as shown in the data. 

The option for a tow bar on the AMG Night edition gives you trailer control plus the tow bar/electrics. I assume trailer control is available possibly because the car has air suspension whereas the other versions do not. My caravan has trailer control so I wouldn't think I needed it. 

countax replied on 30/01/2021 11:44

Posted on 30/01/2021 11:44

Certainly is an interesting artice. Leaving towing aside there is no doubt that financially the e300de is a non starter.

However if you factor in the savings in interest at 1.2/1.3% on a PCP or hire purchase over 4 years the the MB offer brings the e300de back into 200d territory re' cost of ownership. 

The other factor is the boot space. I have yet to see photographs and I wouldn't place an order without knowing exacyly what the impact is. 

countax replied on 30/01/2021 11:47

Posted on 30/01/2021 11:47

Incidentally. I'm reading this morning that Mitsubushi is to stop designing and buildinng cars that comply with the markets in the EU and the UK. Effectively you will no longer be able to purchase one unless it is existing stock.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook