Range Rover and Caravan Brake Lights

JandJsvan replied on 17/05/2023 14:10

Posted on 17/05/2023 14:10

Hi all, we have a 19 reg Range Rover and a 2005 Bailey Senator.  Caravan lights had been worked perfectly with our old vehicle.  Car has 13 pin socket, van 2 x 7 pin plugs, we have the adapter.  Our problem is that the brake lights on the caravan do not work when plugged into the Range Rover.  All other lights work as they should.  We have connected the van to another vehicle with a 13 pin socket and all lights, including brakes, work perfectly.  We have connected our car to another Bailey caravan (this one has a 13 pin plug) and everything EXCEPT the brakes work.  The towbar/electrics are Land Rover fitted.  We have been back to Land Rover dealers and they are stumped. Has anyone ever had a problem like this? Is it a Range Rover or old Bailey problem? 

Extugger replied on 17/05/2023 19:43

Posted on 17/05/2023 19:43

I had a similar problem some years ago with a German manufactured tow car who were also stumped as to why it wasn’t working properly, so I took it to a tow bar fitter and they fitted a resistor (or something like that) into the wiring loom. Everything worked fine, so maybe try a local company near to you? Good luck

JandJsvan replied on 17/05/2023 20:19

Posted on 17/05/2023 20:19

Thanks Extugger, but I am pleased to report that it was suggested that as the caravan has four rear brake lights, two low down and two at the top that the wattage was more than the sensitive system in the car

liked and therefore thought it a fault so didn't work.  We removed bulbs from top lights and hey presto the lower ones work properly. 

Tinwheeler replied on 17/05/2023 20:43

Posted on 17/05/2023 20:43

It will be worth checking the law if you intend leaving the bulbs out as I feel it could be a case of "must work if fitted". Someone else may know more on that aspect.

Vulcan replied on 18/05/2023 09:44

Posted on 17/05/2023 20:19 by JandJsvan

Thanks Extugger, but I am pleased to report that it was suggested that as the caravan has four rear brake lights, two low down and two at the top that the wattage was more than the sensitive system in the car

liked and therefore thought it a fault so didn't work.  We removed bulbs from top lights and hey presto the lower ones work properly. 

Posted on 18/05/2023 09:44

A quick glance at your RR handbook would have confirmed the maximum brake lamp wattage to be 60 watts, four conventional brake lamps would be approx 84 watts.

EmilysDad's idea seems worth a try.

Goldie146 replied on 18/05/2023 10:06

Posted on 17/05/2023 20:19 by JandJsvan

Posted on 18/05/2023 10:06

The same scenario here when we got a new Discovery three years ago. We got as far as buying a trailer board and threading the cables through the caravan windows, when I read somewhere about the top lights. Bingo! It is also a Senator 2005.

ABM replied on 22/05/2023 21:28

Posted on 17/05/2023 19:43 by Extugger

I had a similar problem some years ago with a German manufactured tow car who were also stumped as to why it wasn’t working properly, so I took it to a tow bar fitter and they fitted a resistor (or something like that) into the wiring loom. Everything worked fine, so maybe try a local company near to you? Good luck

Posted on 22/05/2023 21:28

The resistor in series with the lamps would limit the current the same as fitting lower wattage or LED bulbs or removing the upper bulbs,  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook