Rusty Towball

JohnRH replied on 04/04/2017 11:35

Posted on 04/04/2017 11:35

Hi Folks,

My tow car has an electrically retractable (not detachable) tow-hitch and stows the tow ball under the car where it is exposed to rain, salty road spray etc. Consequently it gets rusty! I tried putting a cover over the tow ball but as the hitch is inverted under the car this just fills up with water.

Having spent the last half hour cleaning the ball using a wire brush and fine emery paper, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions to help stop the rusting?

I am reluctant to cover the ball in oil or grease when not in use because I would have to clean that off before towing because of the alko stabilizer.

Lutz replied on 29/08/2023 05:59

Posted on 29/08/2023 05:59

For the AlKo stabiliser t do its job properly the towball only has to be free from loose rust, paint, grease, etc. but it doesn't have to be absolutely bright.

Amesford replied on 29/08/2023 12:24

Posted on 04/04/2017 11:46 by Tracy123

Hi John,

Could you spray it with a rust proof paint? I like the cling film idea though. I've also heard of people getting a tennis ball, cutting a slit into it an putting it over the tow ball. 

When you decide on what to use and you find it a success it would be great if you could your thoughts on Club Together.

Thanks

Tracy

Posted on 29/08/2023 12:24

Paint could effect the anti sway pads in the tow hitch, How about the finger of a rubber glove ( no other comments required )

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook