Same car different weight

dave smiffy replied on 22/04/2023 20:50

Posted on 22/04/2023 20:50

hi people

i tow with a Volkswagen touareg 2019 r line i did tow with a 2012 touareg sel which towed my bailey Porto twin axle at 76% which is brilliant never know i am towing so relaxing, my newer one 2019 r line is 40 kg lighter  and is a 86 % of the towing weight.  which is okay been towing since 2006 . i didn't think of checking the weight as same car ? just a word of warning . happy towing.

dave  

Tinwheeler replied on 22/04/2023 21:44

Posted on 22/04/2023 21:44

In 7 years many things will have changed - engine parts, gearbox components, exhaust, wheels and tyres etc etc. There’s no way I would expect the cars to be identical.

dave smiffy replied on 22/04/2023 21:54

Posted on 22/04/2023 21:23 by eribaMotters

Have they swapped anything major, eg did the previous car have a spare wheel and the new one does not?

Colin

Posted on 22/04/2023 21:54

hi colin

my old one didn't have a spare wheel just the pump and foam canister, my new one has has a spare wheel. as tin wheel says its how its built now plastic floor etc.  but two tanks diesel and ad blue tank .  its amazing what they do. i was just warning other people. as 40 kg is a lot of weight

Dave

flatcoat replied on 22/04/2023 22:43

Posted on 22/04/2023 22:43

The 2012 and 2019 Touareg are totally different cars - which I would think is pretty obvious visually. Under the skin they are totally different for a variety of reasons. And 40kg difference on a 2tonne car cannot possibly change the tow weight ratio by 10%…… sorry if this sounds blunt but think about the numbers, if 40kg = 10% weight ratio difference it would suggest the car weighs around 400kg…..  I am not sure what warning is being given here. 

Lutz replied on 23/04/2023 07:07

Posted on 23/04/2023 07:07

40kg is hardly going to make any difference in the way in which the outfit handles and it's only going to change the weight ratio by a negligible amount - certainly by not as much as 10%. If the figure was taken out of a brochure, owner's handbook or a database, chances are that the difference between the published figure and the car's actual kerbweight is going to be greater than 40kg anyway. Not really worth a warning to others.

It's far more important to check the towload limits. Changes in specification and design can have a really appreciable effect on the towload limit. In the extreme, a later version of the same car but with a different drive train may not even be approved to tow at all, even though it's basically the same model.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook