Tow Car confusion - please help!

laineyrose replied on 13/08/2023 08:52

Posted on 13/08/2023 08:52

We're after a definitive answer that we can't seem to find anywhere. We're moving from the world of motorhoming to caravanning and are getting a caravan with 1350kg MTPLM and need to get a suitable tow car that I can also drive everyday (were a family of 3 so it doesn't have to be huge).

We (naively) thought we could find a car's towing capacity and if it exceeded the MTPLM then life would be good, but looking online it appears that the kerb weight of the car has to exceed the MTPLM of the caravan as well so with the recommended 85% rule we appear to be restricted to cars with a kerb weight of over 1600kg. This narrows down the options massively and having thought that Kia Sportage, Hyundai Tucson or Volvo XC40 would be suitable options as their towing capacity is greater than the weight of the caravan we are now having to rethink as their kerb weight is too low. 

Can anyone provide a definitive answer on what we need to look for when searching for a tow car and what would be suitable for a caravan of this size. Thank you in advance. 

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2023 11:41

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:35 by Lutz

I would challenge anyone to be able to detect a difference in the way an outfit handles at 88% instead of 85%. It's when you approach 100% and beyond where you have to be a bit more careful.

Yes, I admit to maybe being a bit over technical for some in that response but that doesn't excuse a website from publishing incorrect information.

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:41

Agreedđź‘Ť

eurortraveller replied on 14/08/2023 11:42

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:42

I like power as well as weight.

. We also towed an Eriba but with a 2.2 litre diesel Freelander.- for 12 years. The weight ratio was about 60% rather than 85%.  That might seem overkill to some of you but we were rock steady on French autoroutes at 70 mph and the motor bike cops who flew by showed not the slightest interest. And of course we had the power to tackle a dozen big Alpine passes on holidays in and out of Switzerland. 

And now I see others, underpowered, who struggle on the A30 either side of Okehampton. I wonder how they manage going south from Clermont Ferrand. What works in flat country doesn’t work everywhere.

TimboC replied on 14/08/2023 11:58

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:42 by eurortraveller

I like power as well as weight.

. We also towed an Eriba but with a 2.2 litre diesel Freelander.- for 12 years. The weight ratio was about 60% rather than 85%.  That might seem overkill to some of you but we were rock steady on French autoroutes at 70 mph and the motor bike cops who flew by showed not the slightest interest. And of course we had the power to tackle a dozen big Alpine passes on holidays in and out of Switzerland. 

And now I see others, underpowered, who struggle on the A30 either side of Okehampton. I wonder how they manage going south from Clermont Ferrand. What works in flat country doesn’t work everywhere.

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:58

I agree. We're at 75% currently having been at 87% before, and towing is so much more relaxing. I have to say that having an auto also helps. It can lull you into a false sense of security though, especially on longer journeys

Tinwheeler replied on 14/08/2023 12:11

Posted on 14/08/2023 12:11

I’m with you two. You can’t beat a big beefy tow car which is why we always went for 4x4s in our latter years of towing. Terranos, a Disco, Sorentos and a Shogun all did the job with ease and no issues with using them as day to day cars either.

Vulcan replied on 14/08/2023 13:52

Posted on 14/08/2023 13:52

I agree if possible the old rule of thumb still applies ie, the smallest lightest van you can manage with coupled to the largest most powerful vehicle you can afford.

Lutz replied on 14/08/2023 14:04

Posted on 14/08/2023 14:04

Bear in mind, however, that a favourable weight ratio alone won't guarantee that you won't struggle on steep hills. One may be running at around 100%, but if you've got the power the drive can be just as relaxing. The other day I witnessed a VW Golf towing a really big single axle caravan up a fairly steep section of dual carriageway at a speed that left a number of other cars standing. I don't know what engine he had in it, but it was impressive.

flatcoat replied on 14/08/2023 14:36

Posted on 14/08/2023 14:36

I towed at 100% with my Passat Alltrack and never had a problem on long climbs such as parts of the A9 to Inverness or driving through Bavaria and Austria. My current car and van is around 75% ratio and while it is less twitchy and a bit nippier, it isn’t so much I wouldn’t happily tow at 100% again. 

ChemicalJasper replied on 15/08/2023 17:52

Posted on 14/08/2023 11:35 by Lutz

I would challenge anyone to be able to detect a difference in the way an outfit handles at 88% instead of 85%. It's when you approach 100% and beyond where you have to be a bit more careful. Besides, kerbweight is not documented anywhere so any figure that one may have can be nothing better than a rough guide. The only way of establishing a really accurate kerbweight, if you need it, is to put the car on a weighbridge. By the way, contrary to common belief, kerbweight is defined without a driver. Any figure that states 75kg is included for the driver would be 'mass in running order', or 'mass in service' as it's called on the V5, although some sources incorrectly refer to it as kerbweight. Actual kerbweight will almost invariably be greater than the V5 figure because it includes all options and retrofitted equipment, such as maybe a towbar.

Yes, I admit to maybe being a bit over technical for some in that response but that doesn't excuse a website from publishing incorrect information.

Posted on 15/08/2023 17:52

Indeed, my 1992 defender 90 (~1500kg) will tow my Ifor (3500kg). It will, but I wont', it's no fun being pushed down the road on drum brakes!

MHG replied on 23/08/2023 17:12

Posted on 23/08/2023 17:12

+1 for what other have reiterated in that 85% is just a recommendation. I agree with TimboC in that in my opinion, the heavier car you can buy, the better. 

I now tow with a Mercedes GLE so no towing issues issues whatsoever, and whilst its a fantastic driving solo (if driving a big car is your thing) it's not great fuel economy!

If going for a new vehicle triple check the compatibility of the towbar to an Alko hitch - i have been caught out with an Audi A4 before!

Happy Caravanning!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook