Towcar of the Year 2020 Winners

RowenaBCAMC replied on 20/09/2019 16:38

Posted on 20/09/2019 16:38

Congratulations to Volvo on winning the Caravan and Motorhome Club's Towcar of the Year Award 2020.

There were 36 entrants tested over the summer in the industry's premier towcar competition but it was the Volvo who was crowned victorious, also winning the Caravan Weight 1400kg - 1500kg category with their XC40 D4 AWD R-Design Pro.

A significant breakthrough in the competition was made by Jaguar, whose all-electric entry won its category.

You can view all the winners here: 2020 Winners

You can also find a full round up of the competition here:

hitchglitch replied on 28/09/2019 13:29

Posted on 28/09/2019 13:29

As an EV owner I can understand the judges being absolutely smitten by the iPace and this seems to have rather gone to their heads. 100 miles would get me to our nearest CL and back and I guess we could buy one of those pod style vans. What on Earth were they thinking?

lornalou1 replied on 28/09/2019 17:13

Posted on 28/09/2019 17:13

what do these so called testers do for the rest of the year and what qualifications do they hold or does this club just waste our membership fees to produce results that the testers would like to drive or what extra discounts they get for better results. Bye the way, if you ask nicely I will give you the results for 2021.

Glengavel replied on 30/09/2019 10:44

Posted on 30/09/2019 10:44

The 'bigging up' of the iPace is comedy gold. Towing limit of 750kg. Towing range is mentioned rather evasively as a number slightly in excess of 100 miles.

But..it accelerates from zero to 60 in only 6 seconds! Zero to sixty is always my first priority when I'm buying a towcar. Yes, well I'm pretty certain you're not going to get 100+ mile range on THAT setting.

Newlyretired replied on 02/10/2019 23:06

Posted on 02/10/2019 23:06

Who would tow with an electic car, evan if you could find a caravan small enough to tow. Just returned from the Yorkshire moors back to the Midlands, we would have had to charge up 3 times just to get there!

rayjsj replied on 04/10/2019 18:41

Posted on 21/09/2019 00:43 by birderbilly

The most bizarre category winner is the up to 1,150kg caravan weight. The winner, the Jag I-Pace, has, in their words not mine a "slightly limited towing capacity" of 750kg ! Happy to be proved wrong but I can't find a single (new) caravan in the UK that weighs less than 750kg. Oh and this car costs £65,000.

Posted on 04/10/2019 18:41

How on God's Earth can an electric Jaguar I pace be even considered as a Tow Car ? £65,000 and a tow limit of 750 kg !!!! a bad joke. 

If I ever see such an outfit on a Club site I will gladly donate £10 to the Wardens benevolent fund.

Please, Please be realistic we want genuine viable alternatives not pie in the sky politically correct rubbish.

rayjsj replied on 04/10/2019 18:54

Posted on 28/09/2019 12:17 by lagerorwine

The question on my mind is - why was it included in the first place? Someone should have 'educated' JLR marketing (or whoever suggested it be included) that its a very expensive 'white elephant' where towing a caravan is concerned.

Perhaps the makers of the 'dinky' caravan it was towing, has friends in high places at the club, so they needed something appropriate to tow it.

Posted on 04/10/2019 18:54

An Idea : if Jaguar and the makers of this 'pod on wheels' are serious why dont they sponsor an 'I Pace does the NC500'  should be entertaining !  Start point :Lands End.  I'm sure someone could be coerced to drive it.?

Oneputt replied on 04/10/2019 19:08

Posted on 04/10/2019 18:54 by rayjsj

An Idea : if Jaguar and the makers of this 'pod on wheels' are serious why dont they sponsor an 'I Pace does the NC500'  should be entertaining !  Start point :Lands End.  I'm sure someone could be coerced to drive it.?

Posted on 04/10/2019 19:08

Lets see the club chairman do it as another freebie, Ro please make the arrangements, might need a few support vehicles though🌞😜

hitchup replied on 08/10/2019 09:51

Posted on 08/10/2019 09:51

Like many, I’m baffled by the selection of cars for the TCOY test. And the criteria for scoring / detracting. Many cars were praised / criticised for having a temporary spare wheel readily available or hidden under all the boot contents. I thought we weren’t supposed to tow with a “toy” wheel in place. This is a towcar test. Also, the Subaru was criticised for its CVT transmission not being suitable for towing. So why test three of them with the same transmission? The Kia Sorento lost marks for no battery/ fridge wiring. On the car supplied maybe, but this implies that a previous TCOY winner doesn’t run the fridge on 12v at all. 

Having recently changed my tow car, I had a long list of boxes successfully ticked: substantial kerbweight, good power and torque, good nose weight limit, full sized spare wheel (easily accessed), lockable 4wheel drive if needed, decent reputation for reliability, and a price tag a little over half that of the class winner. Sounds ideal? Was it tested this year? No, nor any others of the make. Maybe the Club can only test what has been offered by the car companies, but who can blame them for not participating when their potential buyers are put off by irrelevances. 

paul56 replied on 08/10/2019 10:05

Posted on 08/10/2019 10:05

Here's a thought.

I would love to be able to test a range of tow cars in real conditions (albeit on a test track) as all the figures and data in the world in the handbook don't really help. Next time there is a TCOY, can the Club contact members who have significant experience of towing using different car/caravan combinations and say 'As this is your Club, what do you think of these cars and can you give us your input?' 

Hello, is that a pig I can see overhead ......

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook