Towing Contractors

HappyDoggie replied on 06/12/2023 09:14

Posted on 06/12/2023 09:14

I have to move my caravan about 210 miles from storage to a repair shop. I estimate it will be a four to five hour journey and will plan to stay overnight at the destination in an hotel and then return home.

It was suggested to me I could pay for the caravan to be taken by a towing contractor so I did a little on line research and put a request in to a company that would appear to shift all manner of goods around the country. The act as a sort of eBay advertiser and a number of parties emailed me with their quotes.

Given a 210 mile journey would use around £60 of fuel each way and a days labour for one person i was expecting quotes of over £200. There was one for £254 but most were around £120 and £130.

My question is, has anyone used third parties to tow their units and does £130 seem right for a 210 mile tow? I feel something is missing in a service at that price and worry it might be my caravan if it was entrusted to someone so cheaply.

DavidKlyne replied on 06/12/2023 09:37

Posted on 06/12/2023 09:37

I would agree that £130  does seem very inexpensive given that its probably a full days job each way plus fuel. Do they have any reviews. Have you thought about contacting a local caravan dealer to see if they can suggest someone? I did come across this but perhaps you have already contacted them? Another idea might be to contact the Club to see if they have any information of people who can transport caravans around the country. Probably the safest and least expensive way of doing it is to tow it yourself?

David

HappyDoggie replied on 06/12/2023 10:10

Posted on 06/12/2023 10:10

Thank you David, they look a professional outfit. I have requested a quote from them.

Tinwheeler replied on 06/12/2023 10:53

Posted on 06/12/2023 10:53

Personally, I would make sure I knew of a company’s physical address before entrusting them with my caravan. You can imagine your insurance company’s reaction if the van goes missing and all you’ve got is a name and mobi number.

Why not try contacting some commercial garages/recovery operators to see what they can offer?

Oneputt replied on 06/12/2023 12:24

Posted on 06/12/2023 12:24

Had a look at Companies House and if this is the Company they look pukka

Tourer Tow Ltd

Company number 13307361

Registered office address
Suite 210 79 Friar Street, Worcester, England, WR1 2NT

HappyDoggie replied on 07/12/2023 08:54

Posted on 07/12/2023 08:54

Cost came back from Tourer Tow as £418. Point was made the tow was fully covered by insurance and towed in accordance with the Road Haulage terms of carriage. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook