Towing issues

ClubMember8FB210628E replied on 17/12/2023 19:56

Posted on 17/12/2023 19:56

Hi, I have a BMW X1 2.0 XDrive which is paired up with my 2021 elddis affinity 550, on paper it says it’s a great match but sometimes it feels very light on the steering almost like I don’t have control, all the tyres are correct pressure my nose weight is 75 kg, does any body have any suggestions please.

eribaMotters replied on 17/12/2023 20:16

Posted on 17/12/2023 20:16

You obviously have have two of the main bases covered, what about the actual  weights in the car and caravan as it is very easy to overload the caravan.

If these are correct then I'd move a few things in the van back towards the axle to reduce the nose weight slightly, although some will disagree with this suggestion.

I'm thinking along this line due to experience of three tow cars with 75kg hitch limits pulling 4 different vans and a trailer tent, from 750kg up to 1350kg. All have towed best around the 60kg nose weight mark. When I get any where near the 75kg I find the steering as you describe.

Colin

Lutz replied on 18/12/2023 20:22

Posted on 18/12/2023 20:22

There was an article in a trade magazine a couple of years ago (I can't lay my hands on it any more) that purported, on the basis of tests that they carried out, the handling of a caravan outfit can be detrimentally affected if the difference between wheel load left to right is more than about 75kg. Perhaps that's another thing to look at.

Besides, have you checked the rear axle load of the BMW when the caravan is hitched? Maybe you've got too much in the boot of the car and the addition of the noseweight is enough to break the camel's back, even though it doesn't exceed the manufacturer's limit.

Have you tried reducing the tyre pressure in the front wheels of the BMW?

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook