Towing with a Hybrid?

munro21 replied on 03/05/2021 17:46

Posted on 03/05/2021 17:46

Hello, at the moment I am towing with a Ford Mondeo 2.0 litre diesel and it tows well. But I was wondering what is it like to tow with a Hybrid, is it a viable option to tow with.  If anybody has any experience of this it would be nice to know. Many thanks. 

flatcoat replied on 03/05/2021 20:54

Posted on 03/05/2021 20:54

What type of hybrid? Mild, full or plug-in? Petrol or diesel? Depends in part on your driving style and type of trips/journey length. I tow with a diesel PHEV and the battery alone will only give a few miles before being depleted. I tend to save the battery power for the last mile or so and on site/departure and local short journeys. Where site rules allow i charge from the external 240v supply on the caravan. Generally speaking a petrol hybrid will have poor towing mpg compared with a diesel. Quoted range for Hybrids are like all manufacturers mpg claims, figments of someones imagination. Dont believe the hype! 

Oscarmax replied on 03/05/2021 21:08

Posted on 03/05/2021 21:08

We tow with the 2020 2.4 petrol  Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is as good to tow as a diesel, we used to tow with 2017 Ford Kuga 2.0 diesel powershift, the straight answer the Outlander PHEV does not tow as well as the diesel Kuga, however, it is not far behind we achieve 26/28mpg compared to the Kuga 28/30mpg.

Its really down to choice, only you can decide.

Amesford replied on 04/05/2021 09:45

Posted on 04/05/2021 09:45

Back  in August we changed to a ford Kuga mild hybred  diesel, (the last Ford I had was a Popular) alas we have only had the chance to use it once but my chauffer tells me she thinks it tows our four berth swift challenger sport very well. fingers crossed we do not have to cancel any of this years bookings due to Covid

kentman replied on 04/05/2021 18:38

Posted on 04/05/2021 18:38

We currently tow with a Volvo XC90 mild diesel hybrid which is superb. We tow a Coachman VIP replaced to 1700kg. We have been towing for 43 years and the only towcar which has towed better was a 3ltr diesel Discovery which was lovely but far less economic solo. The Volvo gets 26/27mpg towing, around 35 average solo and up to nearly 50mpg solo on a run. I expect this to improve as it's only done 11k miles to date.  My daughter and a friend both run plug in hybrids and they're great if most of your use is under 30 miles but they're less economic than a normal car if you use them mainly for longer runs. Also, isn't Mitsubishi going to pull out of the UK in the near future?

munro21 replied on 04/05/2021 20:58

Posted on 04/05/2021 20:58

I only drive 10 mile a day for work so hybrid would be good, but it depends what it would be like on a longer journey.  Sometimes I go to Scotland, so it would be all on the petrol or diesel part of the engine.  

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook