Towing with a Mercedes GLC 220d

glider200 replied on 04/02/2024 14:21

Posted on 04/02/2024 14:21

After 6 good years with of towing with a Mercedes E250 Sport Estate I am looking for a change. I am looking at the possibility of a pre-owned Mercedes GLC 220d with the 190ps engine, but what I do not want to do is to lose is the Air Suspension which is a standard feature on the rear of the E250. I have searched and searched but can find which spec has it as standard, even though one site said it was standard, it is never mentioned in any ads for a feature of the GLC.

If you tow with a GLC I would like very much to hear your opinions about this model as a tow car.

The model year I am looking at is 2019, I would prefer not to have 20 inch rims, 18 inch would be my preference as I am sick of the ride and road noise of ultra-low profile tyres.

RogerP1956 replied on 04/02/2024 15:11

Posted on 04/02/2024 15:11

I owned a 16 plate GLC250d. I chose the Sport version, available at the time, with sensible wheels and light coloured roof lining. I do not recall air suspension being on offer at the time.

I would not say that the suspension of the GLC was its finest feature as the back end was prone to side stepping on poor surfaces. Having said that it handled my 1800 mptlm caravan without any concerns.

Just to put things in context my last Mercedes was a 21 GLE400d, with air suspension and stupid 22" wheels (£700+ per tyre). I was very disappointed with the air suspension! the rear of the GLE was just as uncontrolled as the GLC and also the tyres were noisy.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook