Towing with a Toyota Landcruiser 2023 UK?

Grahamgorilla replied on 02/07/2023 15:29

Posted on 02/07/2023 15:29

Hi, I am considering changing my tow car and among the candidate vehicles I am looking at is a new (or very new) Toyota Landcruiser (UK spec).  I can see that it hasn't reviewed well in some of the towcar reviews online, but I was wondering if anyone who has one of these vehicles and tows a caravan would like to comment on their own experience.

Thanks

Graham

flatcoat replied on 02/07/2023 19:33

Posted on 02/07/2023 19:33

My guess is the lack of Landcruisers on caravan sites in comparison with Discovery’s and others suggests it isn’t great. I have once seen a Landcruiser towing - a big t/a van - but Its market is aimed at the horse box/cattle trailer farmer off road market and will probably tow a trailer up Ben Nevis. But those customers do not need the road manners and refinement offered by its Discovery and related models. Try the UK Toyota Owners club forum. 

Extugger replied on 03/07/2023 05:36

Posted on 03/07/2023 05:36

I've towed with a Landcruiser, many thousands of miles. Simply put, if your life depends on your vehicle, buy a Landcruiser.

Sadly, although a better ride (looks are a personal thing) the competition don't come close for reliability. I've had 7 or 8 Range Rovers or Discoveries and every one has let me down - one even went up in flames after picking it up, brand new, from the dealership! As nice as the German marques are, they too are unreliable in comparison. (That comment will lead to a plethera of owners stating "My blaa, blaa, blaa is the best car I've owned etc etc) Men and Boys comes to mind.

The Landcruiser is a little agricultural, but it's reliability is legendary. I don't tow any more, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one. 

flatcoat replied on 03/07/2023 08:17

Posted on 03/07/2023 08:17

I have an 18 month old Toyota RAV4 PHEV. It is my first from the brand and mostly impressed. Economy is as good as any diesel tow car I have had, it’s quiet, comfortable and will tow upto 400 miles in a day without the driver (me) feeling overtired. However Reliability isn’t quite 100% and quality of paint and some interior trim is poor (it scratches far too easily), even worse than the FL2 I had a few years ago and certainly no where near German brand quality. 

EmilysDad replied on 03/07/2023 08:19

Posted on 03/07/2023 05:36 by Extugger

I've towed with a Landcruiser, many thousands of miles. Simply put, if your life depends on your vehicle, buy a Landcruiser.

Sadly, although a better ride (looks are a personal thing) the competition don't come close for reliability. I've had 7 or 8 Range Rovers or Discoveries and every one has let me down - one even went up in flames after picking it up, brand new, from the dealership! As nice as the German marques are, they too are unreliable in comparison. (That comment will lead to a plethera of owners stating "My blaa, blaa, blaa is the best car I've owned etc etc) Men and Boys comes to mind.

The Landcruiser is a little agricultural, but it's reliability is legendary. I don't tow any more, but if I did, I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one. 

Posted on 03/07/2023 08:19

My German ML350 is the best tow car I've owned 😉 ..... spent nothing on it over the past 4 years other than servicing & consumables, now at around 70k miles

RedKite replied on 03/07/2023 08:22

Posted on 03/07/2023 08:22

We tow with a Landcruiser and it is a 2005 model we also use it for towing trailers to the local skip, OH agrees with the reliability and never had any issues with it although she is showing her age now and did pass the CT(MOT) recently. They certainly use them over here especially in the winter when hunting and some very old ones about.

OH would get another one but the restrictions now with diesel vehicles here makes them too expensive.

Also he has towed with 4 classic Range Rovers and 1 Discovery but again say the Landcruiser more reliable.

replied on 03/07/2023 09:59

Posted on 03/07/2023 08:19 by EmilysDad

My German ML350 is the best tow car I've owned 😉 ..... spent nothing on it over the past 4 years other than servicing & consumables, now at around 70k miles

Posted on 03/07/2023 09:59

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

flatcoat replied on 03/07/2023 11:16

Posted on 03/07/2023 11:16

The Landcruiser (along with the Highlander and RAV4) is currently unavailable to order…… good luck finding an almost new one! (The RAV4 PHEV is available rebadged as a Suzuki Across). 

JollyKernow replied on 03/07/2023 19:29

Posted on 03/07/2023 19:29

When I first started with the club the wardens we were with had a landcruiser, it was one of the original shape and had the 4.2 straight six engine. What a great motor that was, a "proper" 4x4. That had 260,000 miles on the clock back then but was like new. I almost bought it and that was the only time (until recently) I nearly converted from a motorhome to a caravan. Thing is it's still going strong 13 years after I test drove it!

JK

EmilysDad replied on 03/07/2023 21:20

Posted on 03/07/2023 19:29 by JollyKernow

When I first started with the club the wardens we were with had a landcruiser, it was one of the original shape and had the 4.2 straight six engine. What a great motor that was, a "proper" 4x4. That had 260,000 miles on the clock back then but was like new. I almost bought it and that was the only time (until recently) I nearly converted from a motorhome to a caravan. Thing is it's still going strong 13 years after I test drove it!

JK

Posted on 03/07/2023 21:20

I always find mileages like that incredible! That's more than 10 times around the world and likely all/most of that clocked up on a tiny little island 

JollyKernow replied on 10/07/2023 18:41

Posted on 03/07/2023 21:20 by EmilysDad

I always find mileages like that incredible! That's more than 10 times around the world and likely all/most of that clocked up on a tiny little island 

Posted on 10/07/2023 18:41

Evening

The guy I worked with had it from new and put all those miles on. Back in another life I was white van man and could quite easily clock 2 to 2.5k miles every seven days, easily done. Don't miss that lifewink, now I'm lucky if I clock 3k per year.

JK

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook