Towing with an automatic/dsg

Normanw44 replied on 07/01/2023 15:59

Posted on 07/01/2023 15:59

I've always towed with cars with manual gearboxes (40 years experience) , but have just acquired a second hand Skoda Karoq 4x4 with an automatic box, dsg with 7 gears. I tow a Lunar Stellar so no real problems with weight.

Should I just tow in automatic on the normal setting, or should I consider the Sport setting. Alternatively I could treat it as a manual. Any advice welcome. 

Tinwheeler replied on 07/01/2023 16:30

Posted on 07/01/2023 16:30

I would do whatever your handbook suggests for towing 👍🏻

I see no point in driving an auto in manual mode as you lose all the benefits of having an auto. 

allanandjean replied on 08/01/2023 18:28

Posted on 08/01/2023 18:28

Hi, Have towed with a Q5 auto for 10 years and you could, as said, just leave it in D or, as it is on my car, Auto which is actually a setting that monitors your driving and makes adjustments.

I leave it in Economy when solo and nudge it into Sport if a bit more ooomph is required.

I do also use Sport occasionally when towing as it hangs onto the lower gears, rather than changing up early to aid economy, but it’s not very often, maybe on twisty alpine passes.

I did change to Comfort for a recent 500 trip, to compare the MPG with Economy, but there was no greatly noticeable change in sensation, unlike Sport where it is very noticeable.

watto64 replied on 08/01/2023 19:15

Posted on 08/01/2023 19:15

I would leave it in D and if it as a comfort mode that too. I would also recommend reading what the handbook says about 'creeping' in slow traffic when towing. The hyundai/kia DCT versions of the DSG box can suffer overheat, but i think the DSG are a lot more robust.  

RogerP1956 replied on 09/01/2023 10:56

Posted on 09/01/2023 10:56

I am not sure if any changes are made to cooling systems etc in the Skoda factory but personally, I would be reluctant to tow with anything other than a factory fitted tow hitch.

As a point of interest, we are currently looking at a new Kodiaq and I noticed that the configurator warns that if the tow bar preparation option is not selected the car may be supplied without a towing weight on it's weights plate!!

TimboC replied on 09/01/2023 16:49

Posted on 09/01/2023 10:56 by RogerP1956

I am not sure if any changes are made to cooling systems etc in the Skoda factory but personally, I would be reluctant to tow with anything other than a factory fitted tow hitch.

As a point of interest, we are currently looking at a new Kodiaq and I noticed that the configurator warns that if the tow bar preparation option is not selected the car may be supplied without a towing weight on it's weights plate!!

Posted on 09/01/2023 16:49

Thats correct Roger. I have a new Kodiaq coming in March, and the minimum requirement for a retro fit towbar is having the car spec'd with Tow Bar preparation.

Ive gone for the full tow bar option, and would always go for a car with a factory fittd tow bar. If nothing else, they look so much neater but I like the reassurance that everythings been bolted into place correctly

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook